- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Houston
- Head Count: 624
- Gross Revenues: $653,500,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,045,000
- Profits Per Partner: $1,925,000
- Year Over Year Change: 0
Vinson & Elkins is a Houston-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2014 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Vinson & Elkins has 650 attorneys and is the 60th largest firm in the United States. With $630,500,000 in gross revenue in 2013, the firm placed 50th on The American Lawyer's 2014 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2013 Global 100 survey, Vinson & Elkins ranked as the 59th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, NY and TX.
In the News
: Texas Lawyer : May 25, 2015
H. Victor "Vic" Thomas, an appellate attorney in personal injury and business litigation, has joined Preis in Houston.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : May 22, 2015
Vinson & Elkins represents Eagle Rock Energy Partners in its pending acquisition by Vanguard Natural Resources for about $614 million.
Brian Baxter and Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : May 19, 2015
Dickinson Wright hires a name partner from struggling Las Vegas legal mainstay Gordon Silver; Jones Day hires a Kelley Drye & Warren practice leader; Sidley Austin snags two partners in Houston and Singapore; and more notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
Marcia Coyle : The National Law Journal : May 18, 2015
UVA clinic participants have been involved in high court cases every term since 2006.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : May 15, 2015
The three largest initial public offerings to date this year are for energy companies, and Houston firms secured the work.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : May 11, 2015
McKenna Long & Aldridge, O'Melveny & Myers and Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman see more partners peel away; a former Bingham McCutchen tax partner rejoins her former colleagues at Morgan, Lewis & Bockius; a Latham & Watkins antitrust litigator launches her own boutique; and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
Miriam Rozen : Texas Lawyer : May 08, 2015
Multigenerational Texas lawyers families mull over the profession's clouded future. "How do you encourage your children to be dinosaur hunters, when dinosaurs are disappearing?" Steve Susman asks about stoking future big-trial civil litigator ambitions.
Drew Combs : The American Lawyer : May 08, 2015
Most Am Law 100 firms had solid results in 2014, but some sector bets paid off especially well.
Heather D. Nevitt : Texas Lawyer : May 06, 2015
As part of our annual Litigation Department of the Year awards, Texas Lawyer invited firms across the state to tell us about the great work their litigation department did this past year.
: Texas Lawyer : May 04, 2015
Six large Texas firms based in Houston or Dallas are among the nation's 100 highest-grossing firms as ranked on The American Lawyer's Am Law 100 report.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : April 29, 2015
Six firms based in Houston or Dallas are among the nation's 100 highest-grossing firms.
Chris Johnson : The American Lawyer : April 27, 2015
It was a year of solid gains for The Am Law 100, especially for a burgeoning group of top firms.
Tom Brennan : The Asian Lawyer : April 23, 2015
Simon Cowled was most recently a counsel at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : April 14, 2015
Duane Morris and McKool Smith saw a pair of oenophiles pull up stakes for new endeavors; Kirkland & Ellis adds one litigator and loses two more; Paul Hastings bolsters its banking group in London; and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : April 13, 2015
Quantum Energy Partners will initially invest up to $1 billion in oil and gas entity that will be managed by Linn Energy of Houston.
: Texas Lawyer : April 13, 2015
Jeffrey E. Spiers, a Houston partner in Andrews Kurth, has been named the firm's executive director.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : April 06, 2015
Barry Smitherman, former chairman of the Texas Railroad Commission and the Public Utiliities Commission of Texas, will join Vinson & Elkins' Austin office on April 1.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : April 02, 2015
Andrews Kurth represents Independence Resources Management, which secured a $500 million equity investment by a private equity company represented by Vinson & Elkins.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : April 02, 2015
Sen. Bob Menendez now faces federal criminal charges because of his involvement with a political donor, an eye doctor from Florida: This is a round-up of legal news from ALM and around the country.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : April 02, 2015
The energy firm, not to be confused with the international firm of the same name, laid off 32 people, including 14 lawyers. Steptoe & Johnson blamed plummeting oil prices that have impacted numerous law firms to varying degrees.
Scott Flaherty : The Litigation Daily : April 01, 2015
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission on Wednesday fined technology and engineering company KBR Inc. over confidentiality agreements that, the agency claims, could have silenced potential whistleblowers.
Andrew Ramonas : Corporate Counsel : April 01, 2015
Business groups lined up behind a company trying to keep what it says are privileged documents from a whistleblower.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : March 31, 2015
Barry Smitherman, former chairman of the Texas Railroad Commission and the Public Utilities Commission of Texas, will join Vinson & Elkins' Austin office on April 1.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : March 31, 2015
Adam Streisand, head of Loeb & Loeb's trusts and estates litigation group, is headed to Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton; Hogan Lovells heads to Australia and hires a DLA Piper practice leader; Baker Botts bulks up in the Middle East; and more notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
MP McQueen : The American Lawyer : March 30, 2015
Transactions work was up across the board in 2014, with record-setting years in M&A and capital markets activity.
Susan Beck : The Am Law Daily : March 25, 2015
Kirkland & Ellis picked up momentum in 2014, with revenue increasing 6.6 percent, to $2.15 billion, and profits per partner lifting 7 percent, to $3.51 million, according to The American Lawyer's reporting. Revenue per lawyer increased 5.4 percent, to $1.365 million, while net income rose 8 percent, to $1.182 billion.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : March 25, 2015
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, Bracewell & Giuliani, Haynes and Boone, Kirkland & Ellis and Vinson & Elkins are some of the Am Law 200 firms that have snagged leading bankruptcy and restructuring roles in the struggling U.S. oil and gas sector.
: The National Law Journal : March 23, 2015
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : March 23, 2015
Richard Nelson is among a spate of departures from Herbert Smith Freehills' Asia offices in recent months.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : March 10, 2015
Sidley Austin and Katten Muchin Rosenman snag Vinson & Elkins partners in Houston; Honigman adds a former U.S. senator; K&L Gates bags eight lawyers in two cities; Mayer Brown and Chadbourne & Parke make additions in Mexico City; and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.