- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Washington
- Head Count: 564
- Gross Revenues: $442,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $785,000
- Profits Per Partner: $970,000
- Year Over Year Change: 3
Venable is a Baltimore-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2015 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Venable has 564 attorneys and is the 73rd largest firm in the United States. With $442,000,000 in gross revenue in 2014, the firm placed 68th on The American Lawyer's 2015 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2014 Global 100 survey, Venable ranked as the 83rd highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, DE, MD, NY, TX and VA.
In the News
Ed Silverstein : Legaltech News : October 09, 2015
Zach Warren : Legaltech News : October 08, 2015
While at Perkins Coie, Gray won Legaltech News's 2013 CIO of the Year award.
Bill Kenealy : Legaltech News : October 07, 2015
Morgan Lewis will now offer their clients Exigent's contract lifecycle management solution, Chameleon.
Celia Ampel : Daily Business Review : October 07, 2015
A federal judge dismisses a class action filed by graduates alleging the Jacksonville law school misled them about their job opportunities after graduation.
Ed Silverstein : Legaltech News : October 07, 2015
The hire is an example of how law firms often have a multidisciplinary team in place that includes non-lawyers.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : October 04, 2015
Another practice leader leaves Kaye Scholer; Blank Rome bags a handful of new hires; Day Pitney poaches a five-partner real estate team; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : October 01, 2015
A former Skadden and Quinn Emanuel associate who joined a nonprofit police consulting firm will lead a team overseeing reforms at the Cleveland Division of Police. The department, which the Justice Department has accused of using a pattern of excessive force, has made national headlines for violent acts against local citizens.
Marlisse Silver Sweeney : Corporate Counsel : September 30, 2015
The Federal Trade Commission is coming down against a Florida marketer alleged to have threatened its customers with legal action for writing negative reviews.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : September 27, 2015
The co-head of a Los Angeles-based litigation boutique decamped for Covington & Burling, which opened in the city earlier this year; comings-and-goings at Ballard Spahr and White & Case; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The Recorder : September 21, 2015
New hires, promotions, appointments and awards in-house, at firms, and in government and academia.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : September 20, 2015
David Hardison, co-head of Fried Frank's professional services defense and counseling practice, decamps in Washington, D.C.; Boies Schiller brings back a former partner and adds an employee benefits head; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : September 17, 2015
A roundup of transactions involving Bay Area lawyers and companies.
: The National Law Journal : September 14, 2015
Ross Todd : The Recorder : September 09, 2015
The fitness device maker has filed two patent suits this week against rival Jawbone, which is waging its own litigation campaign.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : August 31, 2015
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau wants a federal judge in California to sanction several small law firms for violating an order that they aren't a party to. As a legal move, it's undeniably aggressive and possibly brilliant.
: The American Lawyer : August 24, 2015
Hudson's Bay / Galeria; Sun Life / Bentall Kennedy; Match.com / PlentyofFish
Linda Zirkelbach : Legaltech News : August 21, 2015
Zoe Tillman and Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : August 20, 2015
The estate of Thomas Hale Boggs Jr. is locked in a legal battle with a woman who says she had a romantic and business relationship with the late super-lobbyist, the former head of Patton Boggs. The woman, local realtor Janine Davey Waxman, and Boggs' family have been fighting in courts in Maryland and Washington this year over the settlement of his estate, court records show.
Julie Kay : Daily Business Review : August 11, 2015
A federal judge in Miami rejects a motion by Caterpillar to move a $50 million case to Brazil, calling it a "last-ditch effort" by the company. A Brazilian power plant operator claims faulty Caterpillar generators exploded.
: The National Law Journal : August 10, 2015
The firms around him have merged, failed and moved, but celebrity trial lawyer William "Billy" Martin hasn't changed his practice. Plus more in this week's column.
Zoe Tillman : Legal Times : July 31, 2015
A federal judge in Washington this week dismissed negligence claims against Venable, finding that supposed "puffery" by firm attorneys about what they could achieve for a former client wasn't enough to support the allegations.
P.J. D'Annunzio : The Legal Intelligencer : July 28, 2015
A federal judge has certified a class of direct purchasers of the drug Provigil in their antitrust case against generic drug makers Ranbaxy Laboratories and Mylan Pharmaceuticals.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : July 28, 2015
One of the few Am Law 100 law firms in Washington located far from the central business district is moving. Boies, Schiller & Flexner, whose D.C. lawyers work in a building near the Maryland border, plans to move to New York Avenue and 14th Street downtown in the late summer or fall next year.
: The National Law Journal : July 27, 2015
Cases recently filed in the Washington-area district courts.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : July 21, 2015
Huge potential damages make these suits a tempting new target for plaintiffs lawyers. But they shouldn't expect easy victories.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : July 17, 2015
The two Am Law 100 firms and a pair of Canadian shops have picked up work on a pickup site deal that will see Barry Diller-backed The Match Group buy PlentyofFish Media for $575 million in cash.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : July 17, 2015
Kirk Pasich, one of few rainmakers left at Dickstein Shapiro and a nationally known insurance litigator, will pull his practice group from the D.C.-based law firm, according to five people familiar with his plans. Pasich and nine other Dickstein lawyers will join Liner LLP, two of the people said.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : July 13, 2015
Eric Holder Jr.'s next two years at Covington & Burling, the firm where he worked before becoming U.S. attorney general, may be a smooth transition for one of the Obama administration's most high-profile officials turning to private practice in corporate law.
Julie Triedman : The Litigation Daily : July 07, 2015
In what is likely the leading edge of a rash of multibillion-dollar disputes involving the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the first round has gone to a group of bondholders.
: The National Law Journal : July 06, 2015
A roundup of Washington, D.C. lateral moves and promotions.