- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Washington
- Head Count: 533
- Gross Revenues: $409,500,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $770,000
- Profits Per Partner: $905,000
- Year Over Year Change: 5
Venable is a Baltimore-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2014 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Venable has 533 attorneys and is the 77th largest firm in the United States. With $409,500,000 in gross revenue in 2013, the firm placed 71st on The American Lawyer's 2014 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2013 Global 100 survey, Venable ranked as the 89th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, DE, IL, MD, NY, TX and VA.
In the News
Joshua Kaufman : Corporate Counsel : March 03, 2015
To stop the online purveyors of counterfeit goods from infringing on intellectual property rights, you need to cut off their lifeline: cash flow.
: The National Law Journal : March 02, 2015
New arrivals and lateral moves in this week's column.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : March 01, 2015
Milbank expands in London and Frankfurt; Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani loses a top sports lawyer, but picks up more than a dozen others in Pittsburgh; Barclays and Deutsche Bank raid big firms for two in-house legal chiefs; Cadwalader brings on a top federal prosecutor; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
: New York Law Journal : February 27, 2015
Seven firms announce new additions.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : February 27, 2015
Former U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor plans to join the law firm Venable, according to three people with knowledge of the lobbying industry.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : February 24, 2015
A data privacy expert joins Ropes & Gray on the West Coast; a former Bingham McCutchen practice leader lands at Mayer Brown; Epstein Becker & Green's 15-lawyer raid lands it an office in Princeton; Cleary Gottlieb hires a former Sullivan & Cromwell tax partner and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : February 23, 2015
A month and a half after Congress set free almost 50 former House members and a dozen former Senators, the courtship is hot.
Marlisse Silver Sweeney : Corporate Counsel : February 19, 2015
As relations between the U.S. and Cuba begin to thaw, it's still not time for companies to advertise or do much business there.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : February 17, 2015
Big firms take on more partners from Bingham McCutchen and Edwards Wildman Palmer; Dentons heads to Northern Virginia; King & Spalding snags a rival's IP litigation co-head; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The Recorder : February 17, 2015
New hires, promotions, appointments and awards in-house, at firms, and in government and academia.
Joshua Kaufman : Corporate Counsel : February 10, 2015
Problems arise when an entity tries to draft a limitation of liability that is so broad that it goes against public policy and state statutes.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : February 10, 2015
Fresh off successful financial years in 2014, Holland & Knight opens a Denver office with six lawyers from Lathrop & Gage; Akin plucks a practice leader from Paul Hastings; Covington & Burling adds a former federal prosecutor; a handful of departures from Dickstein Shapiro; Kirkland & Ellis grows in London; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The American Lawyer : February 09, 2015
The Am Law Daily's early coverage of 2014 financial results of The Am Law 100/200 includes an examination into what's going on behind the numbers. This list will be updated as new results become available. Final rankings and full results for The Am Law 100 will be published in The American Lawyer's May 2015 issue and The Am Law Second Hundred will be published in the June issue.
Amanda Bronstad : The National Law Journal : February 09, 2015
Legislatures push to restrict exemptions, but opponents argue that personal freedoms are jeopardized.
Jenna Greene : Legal Times : February 06, 2015
For Venable, 2014 was a strong year across the board, with an 8 percent rise in gross revenue and a 9 percent increase in net income, yielding profits per partner of $970,000.
Scott Flaherty : The Litigation Daily : February 05, 2015
The appeals court ruled that a company that intentionally solicited spam emails can't seek more than $600 million from Kraft Foods Inc. and another defendant just because they took the bait.
: The Recorder : February 02, 2015
New hires, promotions, appointments and awards in-house, at firms, and in government and academia.
Jenna Greene : Corporate Counsel : February 01, 2015
Allowing cars to 'talk' to each other could save lives, but it's not that easy.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : January 28, 2015
Former Rep. Jim Moran of Virginia is joining McDermott Will & Emery, according to two people familiar with the hire. Moran's announcement, likely to come in February, is another of the early movements of former members joining lobbying firms.
: New York Law Journal : January 27, 2015
Eight firms announce promotions, while Fried Frank and Troutman Sanders have added attorneys.
: New Jersey Law Journal : January 23, 2015
Bar Foundation mock trial participation leads to legal career and Supreme Court case.
Zoe Tillman : Legal Times : January 23, 2015
The former target of a U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission investigation is suing Venable for malpractice over claims that the firm failed to take steps that would have prevented the agency from getting involved.
Patience Haggin : The Recorder : January 23, 2015
Patent filings dropped after Supreme Court rulings, but firms still see high demand for a long-hot practice.
: The Legal Intelligencer : December 31, 2014
Departing Congressman Jim Gerlach, R-Pa., is set to join Venable LLP.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : December 30, 2014
A Baltimore County circuit court judge last week awarded three Venable partners and an attorney from the American Civil Liberties Union $590,000 for their pro bono work for the Maryland State Conference of NAACP Branches.
Katelyn Polantz and Andrew Ramonas : The National Law Journal : December 29, 2014
2014 was tumultuous for law firms — several didn't live to see 2015, or held on via mergers.
: Delaware Law Weekly : December 24, 2014
Pennsylvania Republican Congressman Jim Gerlach is joining Venable LLP as a partner in the legislative and government affairs group in the firm's Washington, D.C., office.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : December 24, 2014
A recent rule change on legal licensing in Virginia means more lawyers could cross the Potomac River, or at least take on clients in the state.
: The National Law Journal : December 22, 2014
Laterals and new arrivals in this week's column.
Andrew Ramonas and Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : December 17, 2014
The U.S. business community is largely divided on the benefits of rapprochement between the United States and Cuba, with industries including cigar retailers hesitant to embrace President Barack Obama's diplomatic opening.