- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: New York
- Head Count: 839
- Gross Revenues: $860,500,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,025,000
- Profits Per Partner: $1,835,000
- Year Over Year Change: -2
Shearman & Sterling is a New York-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2016 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Shearman & Sterling has 834 attorneys and is the 41st largest firm in the United States. With $860,500,000 in gross revenue in 2015, the firm placed 36th on The American Lawyer's 2016 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2014 Global 100 survey, Shearman & Sterling ranked as the 42nd highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, NY and Ontario.
In the News
Frances Ivens : Legal Week : June 23, 2016
A slowing Chinese economy has promoted international firms in Asia's financial capital to reassess their capital markets practices: Some opt to cut fees while others turn to small ticket deals.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 17, 2016
From industrial chemicals to traffic cones, one of the last weeks of spring provided a plethora of transactional opportunities for dozens of Am Law 100 firms.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : June 16, 2016
A year after WilmerHale consolidated its London operations, one longtime partner has left for McDermott Will & Emery; Jones Day hires a trio; Shearman & Sterling snags one from Boies Schiller; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 02, 2016
The Lone Star State firms are working with two other Am Law 100 firms in advising on Great Plains Energy Inc.'s $12.2 billion buy of Westar Energy Inc., the latest sign of consolidation in the utilities sector.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : June 02, 2016
A round-up of transactions involving Bay Area lawyers and companies.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : June 01, 2016
The $2.8 billion acquisition is the largest-ever by Salesforce.
: Texas Lawyer : June 01, 2016
Round Rock-based Dell's pending acquisition of computer storage company EMC for an estimated $67 billion tops the list of the 10 biggest Texas deals announced in 2015.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : May 31, 2016
A month after a settlement smoothed the way for Argentina's return to the global capital markets, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton and Davis Polk & Wardwell led the way on a $280.5 million initial public offering by a Buenos Aires-based bank.
: New York Law Journal : May 24, 2016
Seven firms have added new partners, and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer has appointed a new chief legal officer.
Chris Johnson : The American Lawyer : May 23, 2016
The firm adopts a bold growth plan in London. What if it works?
: The National Law Journal : May 23, 2016
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : May 18, 2016
A half-dozen big firms shuffled practice leaders within the past week; Skadden snags a high-profile arbitration expert in Hong Kong; the founding partner of Weil's Rhode Island office departs; and other notable laterals from throughout The Am Law 200.
Stephanie Forshee : Corporate Counsel : May 17, 2016
In a company with a culture of collaboration, the lawyers buy in.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : May 11, 2016
After $1.2 billion in settlements and a decade of litigation that swept in antitrust lawyers from more than 50 firms (seriously, did anyone NOT work on this case?), the massive air cargo price fixing litigation is coming in for a landing.
: The Recorder : May 09, 2016
New hires, promotions, appointments and awards in-house, at firms, and in government and academia.
Christine Simmons : New York Law Journal : May 06, 2016
Lisa F. Smith's book, "Girl Walks Out of a Bar," to be published by SelectBooks on June 7, is the story of her long and spiraling addiction to alcohol and drugs while working at prominent New York law firms—and her journey toward sobriety.
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : May 04, 2016
Simpson Thacher, Skadden and Ropes & Gray are representing members in a buyout group led by Alibaba, while Shearman & Sterling advises a special committee at the Chinese chat app developer.
: The American Lawyer : May 03, 2016
These awards recognize law firms for excellence in handling transatlantic matters across the key areas of corporate, finance and disputes, as well as highlighting in-house leaders and law firm innovation, commitment to pro bono and outstanding transatlantic strategy.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : May 02, 2016
DLA Piper bags new recruits from Skadden and Willkie Farr; Chadbourne & Parke picks up a partner with World Cup ties; Cleary Gottlieb adds an Allen & Overy practice leader; Stroock nabs a former federal judge; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : April 28, 2016
Abbott Labs seeks to buy St. Jude Medical for $25 billion; Sanofi makes a $9.3 billion bid for Medivation; AbbVie offers $5.8 billion for Stemcentrx; and a look at the big firms behind those proposed megadeals.
Scott Flaherty : The Am Law Daily : April 25, 2016
Cravath may have stepped in to help Argentina end its legal battle with bondholders, but the country turned to its longtime counsel at Cleary Gottlieb to guide its re-entry into global capital markets.
: The National Law Journal : April 25, 2016
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.
Julie Triedman : The American Lawyer : April 25, 2016
Mixed signals in the financial sector and the end of recession-related litigation held profits down in New York.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : April 25, 2016
Ronald Cami heads to Davis Polk & Wardwell in Silicon Valley; Davis Wright Tremaine adds a former top federal prosecutor; another Bracewell partner departs; a new IP boutique forms inside the Beltway; and other key additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Chris Johnson : The American Lawyer : April 25, 2016
The Am Law 100 eked out gains across major financial metrics in 2015. But growth was the slowest in years.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : April 21, 2016
Wachtell, Skadden, Cleary Gottlieb and King & Wood Mallesons are advising on a $3.6 billion acquisition of U.S. printer maker Lexmark International Inc. by a Chinese-led consortium.
Michael D. Goldhaber : The Am Law Daily : April 20, 2016
Russia won a crucial reprieve from a Dutch court, but the country and its lawyers at Cleary Gottlieb aren't out of the woods yet.
: The Am Law Daily : April 20, 2016
Before The American Lawyer's complete annual Am Law 100 report is released on April 25, take a peek at preliminary reporting on law firm financials from The Am Law Daily and its regional affiliates.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : April 20, 2016
A shift change at Jenner & Block; Duane Morris takes on 13 lawyers from two firms; DLA Piper partners form their own boutique; a Proskauer Rose litigator becomes CEO of a litigation financier; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Ross Todd : The Recorder : April 19, 2016
The agency would bar Erik Bardman, the former CFO of eBay Marketplaces, Roku and Logitech, from serving as an officer or director of another publicly traded company.