- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: New York
- Head Count: 821
- Gross Revenues: $845,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,030,000
- Profits Per Partner: $1,905,000
- Year Over Year Change: -1
Shearman & Sterling is a New York-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2015 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Shearman & Sterling has 821 attorneys and is the 41st largest firm in the United States. With $845,000,000 in gross revenue in 2014, the firm placed 34th on The American Lawyer's 2015 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2013 Global 100 survey, Shearman & Sterling ranked as the 41st highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC and NY.
In the News
David Ruiz : The Recorder : August 20, 2015
A round-up of transactions involving Bay Area lawyers and companies.
Julie Triedman : The Am Law Daily : August 18, 2015
In the the latest example of U.S. firms with merit-based compensation systems poaching from their lockstep Magic Circle rivals, Latham & Watkins has hired another partner in Germany from Clifford Chance.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : August 13, 2015
Google turns to its longtime M&A counsel at Cleary Gottlieb to create a new holding company for the search giant, plus a rundown of this week's other megadeals and the law firms scrambling to keep them on track.
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : August 10, 2015
The latest Arbitration Scorecard finds only seven—out of 128—billion-dollar disputes that are being heard in Asia. But Asian arbitral institutes in Singapore, Hong Kong, China and beyond see no shortage of smaller cases.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : August 06, 2015
When Coca-Cola bottlers combine to create the largest independent bottler for the mega beverage brand, they need a fountain of law firms to seal the deal. Plus, the pharma M&A frenzy continues in our latest roundup of billion-dollar deals.
Amaris Elliott-Engel : Delaware Business Court Insider : August 05, 2015
JPMorgan Chase has beaten back a Delaware Court of Chancery lawsuit alleging its board of directors failed to oversee the banking giant's compliance with federal anti-money laundering laws and thus cost shareholders $2 billion in governmental fines.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : August 03, 2015
Kirkland & Ellis makes a pair of key additions in New York and London from Simpson Thacher & Bartlett and Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer; Lewis Brisbois expands again; one partner joins his fourth firm within a year; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
: Corporate Counsel : August 01, 2015
A lawyer migrates from a virtual world to the tangible kind; and other Moves.
: Corporate Counsel : August 01, 2015
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : July 31, 2015
The latest report from Cornerstone Research and Stanford Law School finds that suits against Asian companies—most of them Chinese—account for more than half of shareholder class actions filed in the United States during the first six months of 2015.
Jennifer Henderson : The American Lawyer : July 27, 2015
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : July 27, 2015
Following the completion Friday of AT&T's $48.5 billion acquisition of DirecTV, The Am Law Daily caught up with AT&T's go-to antitrust lawyers.
Jim Schroeder : The American Lawyer : July 27, 2015
The next tier of firms in our A-List rankings, and what they need to do to step up.
American Lawyer staff reporting : The Asian Lawyer : July 24, 2015
Am Law 200 and Global 100 firms active in China appear reluctant to join the bar associations around the world that have expressed support for the lawyers detained by the Chinese government in July.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : July 24, 2015
Am Law 100 firms are receiving inquiries from clients about whether they can do business in Iran. Though the nuclear accord announced this month signals that some companies may soon have access to a new market, most lawyers are reserved in their expectations.
Michael D. Goldhaber : The Am Law Daily : July 23, 2015
The contest attracted 225 strong entries across 30 categories, and honors firms and legal departments involved in the globe's most distinguished deals, disputes and social initiatives.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : July 20, 2015
The head of Dickstein Shapiro's insurance coverage practice leads nine other lawyers to Los Angeles-based Liner; Morgan, Lewis & Bockius hires two more partners in London; and other notable new roles from throughout The Am Law 200.
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : July 16, 2015
Partner Nils Eliasson will join from Swedish law firm Mannheimer Swartling in September and specialize in energy-related matters.
Chris Johnson : The Am Law Daily : July 14, 2015
Greenberg Traurig is to launch in Germany later this year, picking up the Berlin office of U.K.-based Olswang, the U.S. firm announced Tuesday.
: New York Law Journal : July 13, 2015
Announcements of promotions and additions from Hunton & Williams, Shearman & Sterling, Latham & Watkins, Jackson Lewis, Kaye Scholer and Epstein Becker & Green.
: The National Law Journal : July 13, 2015
New arrivals and lateral moves in this week's column.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : July 08, 2015
The Beltway base of Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld absorbs two veteran litigators; Hogan Lovells hires three Baker Botts litigators in Texas; McDermott and Pillsbury poach new partners; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : July 07, 2015
Shuang Zhao specializes in taking Chinese companies public in the U.S.
Michael D. Goldhaber : Focus Europe : July 01, 2015
The 10 biggest disputes from our 2015 survey, ranked by the amount in controversy.
Michael D. Goldhaber : Focus Europe : July 01, 2015
Our survey finds more billion-dollar cases than ever—and they're being heard by the same tiny club of arbitrators.
Tom Brennan : The Asian Lawyer : July 01, 2015
Global law firms are keeping a cautious eye on India as the government moves closer to lifting the protectionist regulations that have barred foreign firms from the country.
Rebecca Geiger : Global Lawyer News : July 01, 2015
In the largest recent M&A deals across Europe, which law firms got the work?
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : July 01, 2015
As the gateway to Southeast Asia, Singapore continues to be a hot spot for global law firms. To thrive in such a competitive legal market, firms need to be smart about where they invest their resources.
Philippa Maister : Corporate Counsel : June 30, 2015
A survey from the Internal Auditors Research Foundation reveals that general counsel sometimes improperly pressure internal auditors.
Jennifer Henderson : The American Lawyer : June 29, 2015