- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Chicago
- Head Count: 997
- Gross Revenues: $900,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $900,000
- Profits Per Partner: $1,530,000
- Year Over Year Change: -1
McDermott Will & Emery is a Chicago-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2015 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, McDermott Will & Emery has 997 attorneys and is the 24th largest firm in the United States. With $900,000,000 in gross revenue in 2014, the firm placed 30th on The American Lawyer's 2015 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2014 Global 100 survey, McDermott Will & Emeryranked as the 38th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, FL, IL, MA, NY and TX.
In the News
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : November 25, 2015
After a series of departures and an inability to find traction in the desert, Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck has shuttered its Phoenix office; Gibson Dunn grabs two new hires; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The National Law Journal : November 23, 2015
Cases recently filed in the Washington-area district courts.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : November 18, 2015
New partners join K&L Gates in Sydney and Warsaw as the firm closes a U.S. office; Norton Rose Fulbright loses two practice leaders; Sutherland snags a Kaye Scholer project finance head; and other notable address changes from throughout The Am Law 200.
: Daily Business Review : November 17, 2015
Mednax finalized its $500 million purchase of Virtual Radiologic with the help of five attorneys from McDermott Will & Emery.
Vivia Chen : The Careerist : November 16, 2015
An influential Asian American lawyer group honors—gasp—a recruiter!
Nell Gluckman and Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : November 15, 2015
An environmental law expert heads to Oregon; Greenberg Traurig grabs two from McDermott in New York; Hogan Lovells hires a Latham & Watkins trio in Dubai; Ice Miller brings back a mayor; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : November 09, 2015
Detroit-based Dickinson Wright launches a health care affiliate; Duane Morris hires a diversity leader; Quinn Emanuel starts a class action practice in Australia; Sidley expands in Los Angeles; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The National Law Journal : November 09, 2015
Laterals and new arrivals in this week's column.
Mike Susong : Legaltech News : November 03, 2015
Automated scanning and routing software a perfect fit for Seyfarth culture and processes.
Julie Triedman : The American Lawyer : November 02, 2015
Firms involved in detainee representation.
: The Recorder : November 02, 2015
New hires, promotions, appointments and awards in-house, at firms and in government and academia.
: The American Lawyer : November 02, 2015
Ed Silverstein : Legaltech News : November 02, 2015
Taxes on cloud services can be a complex and controversial area with different states weighing in.
Michael D. Goldhaber : The American Lawyer : November 01, 2015
Sovaldi, the hepatitis C wonder drug, costs $1,000 a pill. Law-savvy advocates are fighting back.
: New York Law Journal : October 29, 2015
Sanctuary for Families presented a leadership award to Rosemonde Pierre-Louis, New York City's senior advisor on gender equity, at its 13th annual Above & Beyond Pro Bono Awards. The organization also recognized firms for providing pro bono staffing to New York City's Human Trafficking Intervention Courts.
Miriam Rozen : Texas Lawyer : October 28, 2015
"The Sweatt family felt it was important to keep Heman Sweatt's story and the lessons of his landmark case before the court in this second round, because this time the court will have to determine whether there is any longer a place for race-conscious diversity in higher education," Allan Van Fleet, a partner in the Houston office of McDermott Will & Emery, who represents the Sweatt relatives, wrote in an email.
Marlisse Silver Sweeney : Corporate Counsel : October 27, 2015
The agency adopts new technologies for the "next generation" of environmental rules.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : October 27, 2015
Lawyers Without Borders Inc., the U.S.-based rule-of-law advocacy group, has opened a bureau in Washington, where it can base some operations and develop relationships with underwriters, with its subcontractors and with partners in the legal community. "In the rule of law sector, having a presence in Washington has really improved our relationships," Christina Storm, the group's executive director and founder, said.
Tom Brennan : The Asian Lawyer : October 21, 2015
We've broadened the scope for our second annual awards recognizing the top matters and lawyers in Southeast Asia and India, bringing the total number of categories to 25 from 17.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : October 21, 2015
Long considered one of the elite Atlanta-based firms, King & Spalding's D.C. reputation has been understated because of its fewer number of lawyers and smaller congressional lobbying totals, especially compared to Washington-founded firms. But the firm has remained a major player in D.C.-focused areas.
Julie Kay : Daily Business Review : October 20, 2015
A major battle is brewing between supporters and opponents of a stricter standard for expert testimony in Florida state courts.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : October 19, 2015
The NLJ's annual Influence 50 ranking attempts to capture the third dimension of lobbying: the part of the practice that's never publicly reported. Four law firms said they took in $100 million or more for public-policy work—Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld; K&L Gates; Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr; and Atlanta-based firm King & Spalding, which reported the most public-policy business in 2014.
Brian Baxter and Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : October 18, 2015
Crowell & Moring picks up a former disc jockey to head its London corporate group, while another controversial partner departs; Cahill Gordon & Reindel hires from Credit Suisse; Orrick adds in Germany; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
: New Jersey Law Journal : October 16, 2015
David Ruiz : The Recorder : October 15, 2015
Rep. Anna Eshoo says the new permanent office will bring patent review process closer to the inventors.
: New York Law Journal : October 13, 2015
Nine firms announce new additions, including Morvillo Abramowitz, Willkie Farr, and WilmerHale.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : October 11, 2015
There are some lawyers who, when asked to comment on litigation, reply with a slight sneer, “We don't intend to try our case in the media.” And there are others who seem to like nothing more—because sometimes, the court of public opinion is exactly the right forum for a dispute. Case in point: a press conference on Friday by Lanny Davis and his client, former New York City police detective Richard “Bo” Dietl.
Christine Simmons : New York Law Journal : October 05, 2015
The trend of resolving patent disputes in the government's patent office, which costs a fraction of the price of litigation, has had an uneven effect on intellectual property practices across the country.
Tasha Norman : The National Law Journal : October 05, 2015
Laterals and new arrivals in this week's column.
Donna Terjesen : Legaltech News : October 01, 2015
Law firms are no longer able to rely upon traditional business models to continue growth.