- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Newark
- Head Count: 373
- Gross Revenues: $219,500,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $590,000
- Profits Per Partner: $630,000
- Year Over Year Change: -1
McCarter & English, is a Newark-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2015 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, McCarter & English, has 373 attorneys and is the 116th largest firm in the United States. With $219,500,000 in gross revenue in 2014, the firm placed 134th on The American Lawyer's 2015 Am Law 200 ranking. The firm has offices in CT, DE, FL, MA, MD, NJ, NY and PA.
In the News
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : July 27, 2015
Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump has a long track record as a litigant. A look at his forays in court shows a fondness for lawsuits at odds with GOP calls for tort reform.
: New Jersey Law Journal : July 24, 2015
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : July 22, 2015
Squire Patton Boggs sees more partners depart; two more lawyers peel away from O'Melveny & Myers; another IP litigator leaves Kenyon & Kenyon; and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The Legal Intelligencer : July 20, 2015
Schnader Harrison Segal & Lewis partner Theresa E. Loscalzo is a recipient of the Pennsylvania Diversity Council's 2015 Most Powerful and Influential Woman Award.
Gina Passarella : The Legal Intelligencer : July 20, 2015
Pennsylvania law firms are doing some midyear hiring if the latest lateral partner announcements are any indication.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : July 18, 2015
The story of Brown Rudnick's role in an Irish bailout deal gone bad took a new turn this week, while Mayer Brown landed a role in the U.S. bankruptcy of a disgraced Irish property baron whose wife was allegedly ripped off by a New York lawyer.
Gina Passarella : Delaware Business Court Insider : July 15, 2015
Almost 11 years after the suit was filed, a Delaware court has dismissed a class action against AstraZeneca over its alleged consumer fraud in the marketing of heartburn medication Nexium.
David Gialanella : New Jersey Law Journal : July 15, 2015
The New Jersey Supreme Court has laid to rest the notion that the state law protecting whistleblowers doesn't apply to an employee whose essential function is to act as one.
David Gialanella : New Jersey Law Journal : July 10, 2015
As in past years, the margin for making or missing the second installment of the Law Journal's Top 40 was slim, and there was a greater degree of shake-up than in the first installment earlier this year.
: New Jersey Law Journal : July 10, 2015
Karol Corbin Walker, a partner based in LeClairRyan's Newark office, was sworn in as the first African-American president of the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey (AFBNJ) on June 18 at the organization's 39th annual Brennan Dinner, held at Mayfair Farms in West Orange. Plus more in this week's column.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : July 01, 2015
A leading structured finance team leaves Ashurst for Paul Hastings; a Quinn Emanuel associate development director moves on; Dentons closes on a combination; DLA Piper bolts on a boutique Down Under; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
Charles Toutant : New Jersey Law Journal : June 30, 2015
A ruling withdrawing the property tax exemption for Morristown Memorial Hospital could compel challenges to other health care facilities' exempt status, attorneys said.
: New Jersey Law Journal : June 26, 2015
Vivia Chen : The Careerist : June 19, 2015
Forty-four firms get WILEF's seal of approval.
Gina Passarella : Delaware Business Court Insider : June 17, 2015
The Delaware Court of Chancery has whittled down the claims against Dow Chemical Co. in a suit over a failed joint development agreement with Akzo Nobel Coatings.
Gina Passarella : Delaware Law Weekly : June 17, 2015
Newark, New Jersey-based McCarter & English has established a bipartisan government relations affiliate based out of Wilmington.
: The National Law Journal : June 15, 2015
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : June 14, 2015
Willkie Farr, Winston & Strawn and Sheppard Mullin make hires from two struggling firms with California roots; Blank Rome bolts on an IP boutique in Houston; Fried Frank loses its last partner in Asia; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
David Gialanella : New Jersey Law Journal : June 10, 2015
Connell Foley, making good on plans to reestablish a meaningful physical presence in the city it called home for nearly five decades, has opened the doors to its new office space in Newark.
: New Jersey Law Journal : June 09, 2015
Earlier this year, the Law Journal asked the New Jersey legal community to submit nominations for our annual New Leaders of the Bar. The nominations came pouring in, dozens upon dozens of them, all demonstrating the impressive work being done by young lawyers across the state.
Thomas B. Scheffey : The Connecticut Law Tribune : June 08, 2015
New Haven Housing Court Judge Steven Ecker talks about how people in his courtroom often try to hand him their cellphones. Not to shoot a selfie or anything like that, but in an attempt to get a text message or other digital data introduced as evidence in their cases.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : June 08, 2015
Less than 1 percent increase in total partners and zero expansion in associate ranks in 2014.
David Gialanella : New Jersey Law Journal : June 08, 2015
Though nationwide lawyer head count was essentially flat last year, New Jersey firms still lost ground in a ranking of the most populous firms in the U.S.
Joseph Di Salvo : The Corporate Counselor : June 04, 2015
The most effective litigation management does not mean engaging an army of lawyers, but creating strong partners in smaller defense that can derail adversaries and protect clients' brand integrity.
: New Jersey Law Journal : May 29, 2015
Tracking revenue and census changes at New Jersey-based firms.
David Gialanella : New Jersey Law Journal : May 29, 2015
Though individual performance has varied greatly, a majority of New Jersey's largest homegrown firms took steps back in gross revenue and attorney head count last fiscal year, and a few are even behind where they were five years ago.
David Gialanella : New Jersey Law Journal : May 28, 2015
Once again just four New Jersey-based firms made the cut in the recently released Am Law 200, and none gained or lost significant ground in the rankings despite some revenue changes.
David Gialanella : The American Lawyer : May 28, 2015
Lowenstein's edge is its focus on hedge fund and venture capital work.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : May 24, 2015
A seven-partner team will open a new Frankfurt office for Reed Smith, which saw a top sports lawyer head for greener fields; Foley Hoag brings on Massachusetts' former attorney general; Cravath hires from Crowell & Moring; and more notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
: New Jersey Law Journal : May 21, 2015
We asked law firms across the state to tell us what makes their litigation departments the best: the big victories and important cases that demonstrate why clients choose them when litigation is on the table. The final list highlights firms' 2014 successes in the categories of general litigation, products liability, insurance, class action, employment and intellectual property.