- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Chicago
- Head Count: 1,576
- Gross Revenues: $2,150,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,365,000
- Profits Per Partner: $3,510,000
- Year Over Year Change: 0
Kirkland & Ellis is a Chicago-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2015 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Kirkland & Ellis has 1576 attorneys and is the 15th largest firm in the United States. With $2,150,000,000 in gross revenue in 2014, the firm placed 5th on The American Lawyer's 2015 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2014 Global 100 survey, Kirkland & Ellis ranked as the 6th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, IL, NY and TX.
In the News
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : October 04, 2015
Another practice leader leaves Kaye Scholer; Blank Rome bags a handful of new hires; Day Pitney poaches a five-partner real estate team; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Julie Triedman : The American Lawyer : October 04, 2015
U.S. firms have adopted ambitious growth strategies in Germany, shaking up that country's lateral market.
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : October 02, 2015
Renminbi bond specialist Jini Lee is the latest of at least six lawyers this year to leave Linklaters' Hong Kong office for rival firms.
Andrew Keshner : New York Law Journal : October 02, 2015
Cablevision and Verizon agreed to settle hard-fought litigation over advertising claims they made about their Internet service, according to court papers.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : October 02, 2015
Closing the loop on the twisted tale of Kirkland & Ellis' bid to advise longtime client Teva Pharmaceutical Industries on its latest big M&A deal.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : October 01, 2015
As 2015's third quarter comes to a close, bank-breaking, billion-dollar deals seem to be the gifts that keep on giving for M&A lawyers at Am Law 100 firms.
Zoe Tillman : Legal Times : October 01, 2015
Former U.S. Department of Agriculture official Shirley Sherrod has settled her long-running defamation lawsuit against the late conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart.
Sue Reisinger : Corporate Counsel : September 30, 2015
In its most recent quarterly report, BP took a $10.8 billion charge related to its Gulf oil spill "response" in the second quarter of 2015, according to documents on its website.
MP McQueen : The American Lawyer : September 30, 2015
Vereins improve their position in the latest iteration of a client-awareness survey.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : September 28, 2015
Two Houston firms are listed in "Awesome Opponents" category in BTI Litigation Outlook 2016 survey of in-house lawyers.
Susan Beck and Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : The American Lawyer : September 28, 2015
As out-of-state firms gain market share in the Lone Star State, native Texas firms are having to rethink their strategies.
Amanda Bronstad : The National Law Journal : September 28, 2015
The high number of plaintiffs attorneys appointed to steer multidistrict litigation and the repeated use of the same firms are drawing criticism from lawyers competing for those posts and from the judiciary involved in several prominent MDL cases this year.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : September 27, 2015
The co-head of a Los Angeles-based litigation boutique decamped for Covington & Burling, which opened in the city earlier this year; comings-and-goings at Ballard Spahr and White & Case; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Scott Graham : The Recorder : September 25, 2015
After gorging itself on patent cases the last few years, IP lawyers figure the justices may want to push away from the table this term.
Meredith Hobbs : Daily Report : September 25, 2015
Atlanta lawyers at four firms, King & Spalding, Alston & Bird, Jones Day and Morris Manning & Martin, advised clients on recent big deals. Two of those—King & Spalding client Belk and Alston & Bird client Premiere Global Services—are taking billion-dollar buyouts by private equity firms.
: The Am Law Daily : September 24, 2015
The American Lawyer Global M&A Deals of the Year recognize transactions that redrew the corporate map in every corner of the globe.
Marisa Kendall : The Recorder : September 24, 2015
Lawyers with Trump, Alioto, Trump & Prescott have requested one-third of a $577 million settlement fund for pressing claims against the makers of cathode ray tubes.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : September 24, 2015
Some law firms see lateral movement and merger talks, several celebrities lawyer up, and our collection of coverage as Pope Francis traverses downtown: This is a round-up of legal news from ALM and around the country.
David Bario and Susan Beck : The Am Law Daily : September 23, 2015
The scope and timing of Kirkland's involvement is still unclear in a case that could rival the BP oil-spill litigation in scope—not to mention billable hours.
Gina Passarella : Delaware Business Court Insider : September 23, 2015
In describing the benefits of a class action settlement in a shareholders' merger challenge as akin to the size of a peppercorn but the rights bargained away only equal to a mustard seed, Vice Chancellor Sam Glasscock III approved the noncash settlement over the sole objection of a law professor.
: The American Lawyer : September 22, 2015
The American Lawyer's Global Legal Awards in finance recognize the 10 deals that best exemplify the challenges of transnational finance practice, from capital markets offerings to capital restructurings to infrastructure projects.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : September 22, 2015
Kirkland & Ellis partner James Hurst along with Winston & Strawn partner Steven D'Amore came out on top against a team from Williams & Connolly, scoring an under-the-radar $94 million verdict on behalf of AbbVie Inc. against MedImmune LLC.
Zach Warren : Legaltech News : September 21, 2015
CEO Nehal Madhani said the move stresses that they are putting forth an alternative, better way to practice law.
: The National Law Journal : September 21, 2015
Lateral moves in this week's column.
Katherine Jo : The Asian Lawyer : September 21, 2015
On Sept. 17, nearly 200 leading legal professionals attended the 9th annual China Law & Practice Awards at the JW Marriott Hotel in Beijing—our first awards since joining the ALM Media network in August.
Patience Haggin : The Recorder : September 18, 2015
Out-of-town firms tend to stall out in the hyper-competitve market, but Sidley's grown from three to more than 40 lawyers since opening its doors in 2009.
: The Am Law Daily : September 17, 2015
A clash in letters between the dean of Northeastern University School of Law and legal columnist Steven Harper over what law schools owe their students.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : September 17, 2015
At least two London-based legal giants and one leading Am Law 100 firm have taken the lead for Anheuser-Busch InBev and SABMiller as they prepare to toast a potential combination.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : September 15, 2015
Finnegan Henderson and Kenyon & Kenyon, two top IP-focused firms, see partners peel away on both coasts; Gibson Dunn grows in London; Morgan Lewis adds an Islamic finance expert; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The National Law Journal : September 14, 2015