- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Chicago
- Head Count: 1,619
- Gross Revenues: $2,305,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,425,000
- Profits Per Partner: $3,605,000
- Year Over Year Change: 0
Kirkland & Ellis is a Chicago-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2016 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Kirkland & Ellis has 1619 attorneys and is the 13th largest firm in the United States. With $2,305,000,000 in gross revenue in 2015, the firm placed 5th on The American Lawyer's 2016 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2014 Global 100 survey, Kirkland & Ellis ranked as the 6th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, IL, NY and TX.
In the News
: The American Lawyer : July 01, 2016
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 30, 2016
A look at the Am Law 100 firms behind Lions Gate's bid to buy Starz; Apollo's latest acquisition effort; and a pair of big health care transactions.
Vivia Chen : The Careerist : June 29, 2016
Most projects skew left. But some lawyers and firms have bucked the trend.
Roy Strom : The Am Law Daily : June 28, 2016
After the the efforts of attorney Thomas Geoghegan, Chicago sci-fi fans hoping to pore over "Star Wars" memorabilia may have to travel to a city far, far away.
Julie Triedman : The American Lawyer : June 27, 2016
Both firms have launched intensive pro bono efforts to represent women and children from Central America who face deportation.
Susan Beck : The American Lawyer : June 27, 2016
Some 4,000 lawyers and 70 big firms helped in this effort to commute the sentences of low-level drug offenders who've served significant prison time. But relatively few inmates have been released.
: The American Lawyer : June 27, 2016
The American Lawyer's latest survey of Big Law's pro efforts, from law firm rankings to project profiles and the state of the Justice Gap.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 27, 2016
While Friday's Brexit vote has likely cast a potential shadow over cross-border M&A activity, a number of timely billion-dollar tie-ups were announced amid the U.K.'s decision to leave the European Union.
: The National Law Journal : June 27, 2016
New arrivals and lateral moves in this week's column.
Scott Graham : The Recorder : June 23, 2016
Cisco GC Mark Chandler trumpeted the ruing, while Arista Networks said it's already working on design-arounds.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : June 22, 2016
A former Jones Day business development and communications manager filed a complaint against the firm for gender, age and pregnancy discrimination.
Julie Triedman : The Am Law Daily : June 21, 2016
Prime partners at lockstep firms are favored targets as the firm surfs the lateral market.
Rose Walker : Legal Week : June 20, 2016
The Magic Circle firm joins the ongoing U.S. associate pay war, announcing pay rise for first-year U.S. associates to $180,000
Mark Hamblett : New York Law Journal : June 20, 2016
Attorneys for General Motors and plaintiffs battled it out before a federal judge Friday over a claim that GM and outside counsel King & Spalding engaged in a racketeering enterprise by covering up long-known defects with ignition switches.
Anna Zhang and Frances Ivens : The Asian Lawyer : June 20, 2016
While Global firms race to match Cravath's new associate salary scale in New York and the rest of the U.S., they are more cautious when it comes to increasing salaries in Asia.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 17, 2016
From industrial chemicals to traffic cones, one of the last weeks of spring provided a plethora of transactional opportunities for dozens of Am Law 100 firms.
Frances Ivens and Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : June 14, 2016
Milbank, Kirkland, Simpson Thacher, Paul Weiss, Weil and Davis Polk have confirmed associates pay increase will include those based in Asia.
Susan Beck : The Am Law Daily : June 13, 2016
It's been nearly two years since the Legal Services Corporation first turned to the nation's largest law firms for financial support. So far just 19 firms have pledged to help.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : June 13, 2016
Former eBay general counsel Michael Jacobson returns to Cooley in Silicon Valley; a Kirkland & Ellis seeks a shave; Greenberg Traurig grows in Israel; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : June 11, 2016
Who is IP litigation boutique Desmarais and why are they a new leader in the associate salary wars; Dating tips from the SEC; Gawker goes bust; a hot argument before the Third Circuit
Marcia Coyle : Supreme Court Brief : June 09, 2016
How best to describe the month of June at the U.S. Supreme Court, when the justices—and their clerks—race toward the finish line? "Chaotic and thrilling," Mayer Brown's Brian Netter, who clerked for Justice Stephen Breyer in the October 2010 term, said. At least for the law clerks.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 09, 2016
The $1.65 billion sale of New York's 1285 Sixth Avenue saw more than 50 partners from Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison—a key tenant in the office tower—invest roughly $10 million in the transaction.
: New York Law Journal : June 07, 2016
Daniel Lavon-Krein has brought in more clients than any other private funds partner since joining Kirkland & Ellis in 2011. His global practice reflects his background, language skills and cultural experiences of someone who was born and raised in Europe and is fluent in German and French.
: New York Law Journal : June 07, 2016
Srinivas Kaushik structures and leads domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions for Kirkland & Ellis. As a senior partner in the firm's India practice, Sri also represents clients in acquisition/buyout and investment transactions in Indian companies.
MP McQueen and Susan Beck : The Am Law Daily : June 07, 2016
At least four large New York firms have moved quickly to match the new base pay scale for associates set Monday by Cravath, Swaine & Moore. And some consultants say more big firms will follow suit.
: New York Law Journal : June 07, 2016
In the last year, Atif Khawaja, a litigation partner at Kirkland & Ellis, led the world's largest hedge fund, Bridgewater, in a suit against ex-employees who left to launch a competing fund.
Tom McParland : Delaware Business Court Insider : June 07, 2016
A Delaware bankruptcy judge on Monday blocked a lender's bid to dismiss Intervention Energy Holdings' Chapter 11 case, declining to enforce a contractual provision that would have effectively extinguished its ability to file for bankruptcy protection.
: The National Law Journal : June 06, 2016
We recognize 15 law firms that set the bar in intellectual property law in 2015, scoring big wins for clients.
Amanda Bronstad : The National Law Journal : June 06, 2016
When it comes to patent litigation, Kirkland & Ellis plays a full court press.
Scott Flaherty : The Am Law Daily : June 06, 2016
Roughly seven months after Baker Botts helped client Hercules Offshore Inc. emerge from Chapter 11, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld is advising the Houston-based offshore oilfield services company on its "Chapter 22" bankruptcy filing.