- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
Covington & Burling LLP
- Designation: Washington
- Head Count: 760
- Gross Revenues: $657,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $865,000
- Profits Per Partner: $1,155,000
- Year Over Year Change: -1
Covington & Burling is a Washington-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2014 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Covington & Burling has 760 attorneys and is the 49th largest firm in the United States. With $657,000,000 in gross revenue in 2013, the firm placed 46th on The American Lawyer's 2014 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2012 Global 100 survey, Covington & Burling ranked as the 54th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, London and NY.
In the News
: New York Law Journal : September 02, 2014
McDermott Will & Emery has added Alysse McLoughlin as a partner, rejoining the firm from Barclays; P.J. Forcino has joined Meyer Suozzi as executive director; and Wilson Sonsini has added Benjamin Hoch; among other moves.
: The National Law Journal : September 01, 2014
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.
Jenna Greene : The National Law Journal : September 01, 2014
Covington's Daniel Suleiman talks to NLJ about the challenges of the yearlong federal inquiry.
: The Am Law Daily : August 29, 2014
In this category, The American Lawyer's Global Legal Awards honor the 10 cross-border deals and disputes of 2013 that best exemplify the challenges of transnational legal practice.
Wenxiong Zhang : The American Lawyer : August 27, 2014
The client, a Louisiana man, is seeking compensation after spending 15 years in state prison.
Michael D. Goldhaber : The American Lawyer : August 27, 2014
Ten years after Russia seized oil giant Yukos, arbitrators found it liable for a record sum. The inside story of Shearman & Sterling's successful plan.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : August 27, 2014
Law firms, Washington's largest private-sector real estate tenants, have razed tradition to cater more to the city's young intelligentsia when choosing new locations, according to some of the city's law firm and real estate leaders.
: The American Lawyer : August 27, 2014
Reynolds American/Lorillard; General Electric/Alstom; Salix/Cosmo Technologies; Nook Spinoff
Ross Todd : The Litigation Daily : August 26, 2014
With its plot twists and sheer length, the decade-old battle for the Stolichnaya vodka trademark is starting to resemble a Russian novel.
MP McQueen : The Am Law Daily : August 25, 2014
Law firms are trading down in square footage per attorney when they take out new leases, and increasingly are looking for flexible, more economical spaces in line with the corporate clients they serve, commercial real estate experts say.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : August 20, 2014
Cleary Gottlieb, Herbert Smith Freehills, Slaughter and May and ENSafrica are advising on a proposed demerger by BHP Billiton of several noncore assets into a new global metals and mining company, effectively unwinding part of the 2001 megadeal that created the Anglo-Australian minerals and mining giant.
Jamille Sutton : The American Lawyer : August 19, 2014
Alibaba Group Holding's initial public offering may be subject to additional scrutiny by the Securities and Exchange Commission after the company said it had discovered questionable accounting activity with its acquired film company, Bloomberg News reports.
: The National Law Journal : August 18, 2014
Personnel changes at Washington-area law firms.
Cheryl Miller : The Recorder : August 18, 2014
The nomination of Covington & Burling partner Haywood Gilliam Jr. may battle for attention from a distracted Senate.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : August 15, 2014
Venable dedicated an afternoon "ice-bucket challenge" to partner Michael Gollin as they raised money for research for the disease ALS.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : August 15, 2014
Two more Bingham McCutchen partners depart in Washington, D.C., Jones Day loses two in the Midwest, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett hires in New York and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The Litigation Daily : August 15, 2014
With trial in now underway in Brooklyn, see our roundup of the other key Anti-Terrorism Act cases unfolding in U.S. courts.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : August 12, 2014
Dechert, LeClairRyan, Lowenstein Sandler and Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman all announced plans for new offices within the past week, in our latest look at notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
Ross Todd : The American Lawyer : August 11, 2014
Two startups are targeting the lucrative and highly concentrated online legal research business.
Andrew Keshner : New York Law Journal : August 06, 2014
A business, run by a man who killed himself under the cloud of a criminal investigation, can proceed against his estate to recoup the money that was advanced for his legal expenses.
Alexandra Wilson : The Am Law Daily : August 05, 2014
Troutman Sanders raids Dentons to pick up four commercial bankruptcy and litigation partners; Covington & Burling hires a senior IRS official in D.C.; and DLA Piper snags three attorneys in our latest roundup of lateral moves in The Am Law 200.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : August 04, 2014
Edwards Wildman Palmer has moved its 20-lawyer Washington office from Washington's West End to downtown, the firm announced Monday.The move comes at a time when a number of Washington law offices are preparing to swap spaces.
Jan Wolfe : The Litigation Daily : August 04, 2014
After nearly a decade of mass tort litigation in New Jersey, Roche's lawyers won a ruling on Monday that could help the company stamp out claims that it failed to warn the public about side effects associated with its acne treatment Accutane.
Tom Brennan : The Asian Lawyer : August 04, 2014
Estelito Mendoza served 14 years as solicitor general under former Philippines President Ferdinand Marcos, then thrived after his downfall by representing some of the most infamous associates of his administration. And now, at 84, Mendoza's still one of the top defense lawyers in the country.
: The National Law Journal : August 04, 2014
: The Recorder : August 04, 2014
Brian Baxter and Alexandra Wilson : The Am Law Daily : August 01, 2014
A little less than three years after joining litigation powerhouse Quinn Emanuel from Mayer Brown, Andrew Schapiro, a former Harvard Law School classmate of President Barack Obama, has been confirmed as the next U.S. ambassador to the Czech Republic. The Am Law Daily looks at Schapiro's career shift, along with other moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
Jennifer Genova, Lisa Shuchman and Andrew Ramonas : New Jersey Law Journal : August 01, 2014
U.S. District Judge Jose Linares has granted Clairol's motion to dismiss a personal injury lawsuit lodged against it by a New Jersey salon owner and her customers, but is giving the plaintiffs through August to "correct the pleading deficiencies" in an amended complaint.
Zoe Tillman : Legal Times : August 01, 2014
Requiring detainees held at the U.S. military installation at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, to undergo genital searches before meeting with their lawyers is a “reasonable” security precaution, a federal appeals court in Washington ruled on Friday.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : July 31, 2014
Robyn Polashuk joins from Greenberg Traurig's L.A. office.