- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Washington
- Head Count: 793
- Gross Revenues: $742,500,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $935,000
- Profits Per Partner: $1,275,000
- Year Over Year Change: -1
Covington & Burling is a Washington, D.C.-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2016 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Covington & Burling has 793 attorneys and is the 45th largest firm in the United States. With $742,500,000 in gross revenue in 2015, the firm placed 44th on The American Lawyer's 2016 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2015 Global 100 survey, Covington & Burling ranked as the 54th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, DC, NY and VA.
In the News
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : July 11, 2016
Jones Day recruits two new partners on opposite coasts after a top restructuring duo departs; Milbank makes a rare lateral hire; Paul Hastings makes some high-profile additions; and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
Mike Scarcella : The National Law Journal : July 07, 2016
The U.S. Justice Department on Wednesday urged a Washington judge to reject AstraZeneca's effort to block regulators from approving generic versions of the cholesterol-treatment drug Crestor, saying agency officials haven't yet made a final decision on a lower-cost alternative to the brand medication.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : July 07, 2016
While the spotlight has been on its work for Hillary Clinton, Williams & Connolly has undergone a quiet shift at the top, including the end of Bob Barnett's tenure as executive committee chair this month.
Rebekah Mintzer : Corporate Counsel : July 05, 2016
A federal appeals court in Washington on Tuesday refused to revive Tennis Channel Inc.'s claims that Comcast Cable Communications' video programming distribution discriminates against the sports network.
Rebecca Geiger : Focus Europe : July 01, 2016
The law firms with roles in the largest recent M&A deals across Europe.
Megan Spicer : The Connecticut Law Tribune : June 30, 2016
A federal judge has dismissed MGM Resorts International's suit claiming a new Connecticut law unconstitutionally discriminated against the Native American tribe with which MGM is building a casino rivaling ones in Connecticut.
Tony Mauro : Daily Business Review : June 29, 2016
The U.S. Supreme Court has agreed to hear an appeal brought by Wells Fargo and Bank of America against the city of Miami in a dispute over alleged predatory lending practices that discriminated against minorities.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : June 29, 2016
Many of June's most notable lateral hires involved litigators exiting the Justice Department and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York. Other significant moves featured lawyers who specialize in being adverse to the government. Thanks, Uncle Sam.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : June 28, 2016
Some industry observers question whether the money firms are spending on former GCs would be better spent luring a rainmaker that's on the lateral market.
Tony Mauro : The National Law Journal : June 28, 2016
Banks say cities are misusing civil rights laws to recover taxes lost during recession.
Ed Silverstein : Legaltech News : June 28, 2016
There has been some recent speculation that Obama could have some connection with companies in Silicon Valley after he leaves the White House, but one Presidential expert is skeptical.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : June 28, 2016
In an industry where books of business are paramount, some industry observers question whether the money firms spend on these former GCs would be better spent on nabbing a rainmaker on the lateral market. But the firms say the former GCs have unique qualities that are worth paying for.
Suzanne Monyak : The National Law Journal : June 27, 2016
Even after nearly half a century of service for the Washington Lawyers' Committee, Rod Boggs isn't quite ready to retire. The departing executive director of 45 years described the job as his “calling” from the start.
Katelyn Polantz : The Am Law Daily : June 27, 2016
Washington, D.C.-based BuckleySander told its associates that the firm's salary scale won't change, but midyear bonuses will boost most first-years' pay above $180,000.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 27, 2016
While Friday's Brexit vote has likely cast a potential shadow over cross-border M&A activity, a number of timely billion-dollar tie-ups were announced amid the U.K.'s decision to leave the European Union.
Mike Scarcella : The National Law Journal : June 21, 2016
National and state trade associations representing the electronic cigarette industry on Monday sued the U.S. Food and Drug Administration over new regulations that the advocates contend will push innovative products out of the market.
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : June 21, 2016
The Shenzhen-based technology company is leading a consortium to buy an 84.3 percent stake in game developer Supercell from Japan's SoftBank and the game maker's employees. The deal, Tencent's largest-ever acquisition, values Supercell at $10.2 billion.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : June 21, 2016
Leave it to lawyers from Quinn Emanuel to come up with a new way to litigate a decades-old grievance--and to use a statute that's synonymous with patent disputes in a totally unexpected way.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : June 17, 2016
Since 49 people were gunned down at Orlando's Pulse nightclub last weekend, law firms have offered to ramp up their support for gun control efforts.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : June 13, 2016
The firm on Monday became the first of Washington's traditional “Big Four” legal giants to announce that it will hike its base associate salaries to $180,000.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : June 13, 2016
Former eBay general counsel Michael Jacobson returns to Cooley in Silicon Valley; a Kirkland & Ellis seeks a shave; Greenberg Traurig grows in Israel; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Zoe Tillman : The National Law Journal : June 10, 2016
The death of Justice Antonin Scalia and action by the Consumer Financial Protection Board were on the minds of lawyers discussing arbitration and jury trials.
Christine Simmons : New York Law Journal : June 09, 2016
It's routine for top prosecutors to leave an office near the end of a presidential administration, but attorneys knowledgeable about the so-called Sovereign District—a nod to the office's prominence—point to a natural wave of attrition occurring now.