- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Palo Alto
- Head Count: 673
- Gross Revenues: $674,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,000,000
- Profits Per Partner: $1,565,000
- Year Over Year Change: 2
Cooley is a Palo Alto-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2013 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Cooley has 632 attorneys and is the 59th largest firm in the United States. With $617,000,000 in gross revenue in 2012, the firm placed 47th on The American Lawyer's 2013 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2011 Global 100 survey, Cooley ranked as the 63rd highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in MA, CA, CO, WA, VA, DC, NY, and China.
In the News
Maria Zilberman : The Recorder : August 29, 2014
The results of the 2014 Associates Survey expose high anxiety over workplace demands and partnership prospects.
: The Am Law Daily : August 29, 2014
In this category, The American Lawyer's Global Legal Awards honor the 10 cross-border deals and disputes of 2013 that best exemplify the challenges of transnational legal practice.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : August 28, 2014
The Silicon Beach photo messaging service Snapchat was valued at $10 billion this week following an investment from venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. Behind the startup's rapid rise to fame are a handful of firms, including Cooley, which does most of Snapchat's outside legal work, and others like Perkins Coie and Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan. Snapchat CEO Evan Spiegel is the son of two lawyers with Am Law 100 ties.
Maria Zilberman : The Recorder : August 27, 2014
What associates are saying about the best—and worst—workplaces in San Francisco and Silicon Valley.
Sue Reisinger : Corporate Counsel : August 22, 2014
United Parcel Service Inc. suffered a data breach exposing customer information, but many of the company's responses provide useful lessons for in-house counsel.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : August 21, 2014
Miller Canfield reaps big bucks from the rebranded Thomas M. Cooley Law School; Gibson Dunn's legal bills in New Jersey's Bridgegate scandal break the $6 million mark; a look at what a trio of trade organizations are paying a handful of Am Law 100 firms and the Wikimedia Foundation's simian copyright campaign.
Jan Wolfe : The Litigation Daily : August 21, 2014
When Roche tried to stake a claim to Gilead Sciences' blockbuster Hepatitis C drug, Gilead turned to Cooley to neutralize the threat.
Lisa Hoffman : The National Law Journal : August 20, 2014
A security breach that opened more than 6 million passwords to online viewing and spawned a putative class action will cost LinkedIn Corp. $1.25 million to settle.
Marisa Kendall : The Recorder : August 18, 2014
Barnes & Noble customers weren't put on notice of an arbitration agreement buried in the retailer's website, the appeals court ruled.
: The National Law Journal : August 18, 2014
Former Microsoft Corp. chief executive officer Steve Ballmer completed his purchase of the Los Angeles Clippers basketball team on Aug. 12 for $2 billion. Plus more from NLJ.com and other ALM publications.
Marisa Kendall : The Recorder : August 18, 2014
Barnes & Noble customers weren't put on notice of an arbitration agreement buried in the retailer's website, wrote Circuit Judge John Noonan.
Maria Zilberman : The Recorder : August 15, 2014
Nnena Ukuku started representing emerging tech companies after a law firm job offer went up in smoke. Today, she says her firm has about 40 clients.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : August 15, 2014
Venable dedicated an afternoon "ice-bucket challenge" to partner Michael Gollin as they raised money for research for the disease ALS.
Katelyn Polantz : Legal Times : August 15, 2014
In the large law offices scattered across the Northern Virginia business corridor, a handful of attorneys have fashioned practices around the Washington Metro extension. Other Northern Virginia lawyers have started riding the Silver Line—though those taking mass transit are still light in number.
Karen Sloan : The National Law Journal : August 14, 2014
The largest law school in the country—the Thomas M. Cooley Law School—is now Western Michigan University Cooley Law School.
Jenna Greene : Legal Times : August 13, 2014
A round up of legal news from ALM-affiliated publications are around the web: Google's trail of Post-it notes; a compliance hiring boom; Facebook denied attorneys fees.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : August 13, 2014
Its San Diego and Palo Alto lawyers advised the drug developer, which focuses on treatments for ear disorders and diseases.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : August 12, 2014
Dechert, LeClairRyan, Lowenstein Sandler and Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman all announced plans for new offices within the past week, in our latest look at notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
Jan Wolfe : The Litigation Daily : August 12, 2014
Facebook Inc. and its lawyers at Cooley have lost their bid to recover attorney fees from Rembrandt Social Media, the nonpracticing entity they slayed at trial in June.
Marisa Kendall : The Recorder : August 11, 2014
Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers awarded plaintiffs lawyers roughly one-third of the fees they sought after settling with Abaxis Inc.
Ross Todd : The American Lawyer : August 11, 2014
Two startups are targeting the lucrative and highly concentrated online legal research business.
Marisa Kendall : The Recorder : August 08, 2014
Yelp has suffered several legal setbacks this year as plaintiffs have found ways around the company's traditional lines of defense.
Vivia Chen : The Careerist : August 06, 2014
A look at the subtext behind Working Woman magazine's "50 best firms for women."
Tom Brennan : The Asian Lawyer : August 04, 2014
Former Shearman & Sterling Hong Kong counsel Pang Lee has joined the firm's investment funds group.
Susan Beck : The American Lawyer : August 04, 2014
From IBM research facilities in New York to tiny startups in Silicon Valley, technology companies have set their sights on upending the legal services industry.
Jesse Londin : Law Technology News : August 01, 2014
How e-discovery company NexLP captured the attention and support of venture capitalists.
Recorder Staff : The Recorder : August 01, 2014
This year's list honors women leading major matters, leading within their organizations, and leading the way for other women.
Brenda Sapino Jeffreys : Texas Lawyer : July 28, 2014
"Moving parties have not established that they may suffer irreparable injury if relief is not granted, for which there is not an adequate remedy at law," wrote U.S. District Judge Mary Lou Robinson of the Northern District of Texas in the order.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : July 28, 2014
Palo Alto-based partner Jeffrey Saper and San Diego-based partner Dan Koeppen led the Wilson Sonsini team, while Lathan & Watkins advised underwriters.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : July 26, 2014
Arnold & Porter takes on a couple of attorneys from Alston & Bird; the embattled Bingham McCutchen brings on a partner and more notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.