- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Palo Alto
- Head Count: 755
- Gross Revenues: $802,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,060,000
- Profits Per Partner: $1,735,000
- Year Over Year Change: 8
Cooley is a Palo Alto-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2015 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Cooley has 755 attorneys and is the 48th largest firm in the United States. With $802,000,000 in gross revenue in 2014, the firm placed 37th on The American Lawyer's 2015 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2014 Global 100 survey, Cooley ranked as the 45th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in CA, CO, DC, MA, NY, VA and WA.
Cooley is a Palo Alto-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2013 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Cooley has 632 attorneys and is the 59th largest firm in the United States. With $617,000,000 in gross revenue in 2012, the firm placed 47th on The American Lawyer's 2013 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2011 Global 100 survey, Cooley ranked as the 63rd highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in MA, CA, CO, WA, VA, DC, NY, and China.
In the News
Ross Todd : The Recorder : February 05, 2016
According to suit, the company scanned emails of UC-Berkeley students using its Apps for Education service.
Lizzy McLellan : The Legal Intelligencer : February 02, 2016
As the innovation economy has begun to spread outside of Silicon Valley, several Pennsylvania law firms have taken a shot at appealing to companies that may be the next Google or Facebook.
Scott Graham : The Recorder : January 29, 2016
The crested macaque Naruto doesn't have standing under the Copyright Act, ruled U.S. District Judge William Orrick III.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : January 29, 2016
Davis Polk's Alan Denenberg thought it would be fun to take clients to the game—until he saw the prices.
Steven J. Harper : The Am Law Daily : January 29, 2016
An old program offering student debt relief has sprung to new life—for now.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : January 25, 2016
The son of firm chairman Larry Sonsini had spent the past eight years at the Sobrato Organization, but said changes in the tech landscape make it a good time to return to his private-company practice.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : January 21, 2016
Besides allying with Rudy Giuliani in an election year, Greenberg Traurig has hired several other notable partners this month; Orrick opens in Houston; Paul Weiss litigators start their own boutique; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Ross Todd : The Recorder : January 19, 2016
The proposed deal provides no cash to class members but changes the way Facebook will handle refund requests.
: The National Law Journal : January 18, 2016
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.
Ross Todd : The Recorder : January 15, 2016
Edelson attorney Alexander Nguyen is abandoning claims overTwitter's handling of direct messages.
Cheryl Miller : The Recorder : January 08, 2016
Both companies recently drafted the firm that represents Facebook and Uber in the state capital.
: The Recorder : January 07, 2016
New hires, promotions, appointments and awards in-house, at firms, and in government and academia.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : January 07, 2016
A round-up of transactions involving Bay Area lawyers and companies.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : January 06, 2016
Two litigation partners depart Dickstein Shapiro's shrinking New York office; Cooley lands a high-profile M&A partner from O'Melveny & Myers; Pillsbury plucks an insurance team from Orrick; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
Ross Todd : The Recorder : January 06, 2016
Those advocating for the crested macaque Naruto have no standing under the Copyright Act, said U.S. District Judge William Orrick III.
Cheryl Miller : The Recorder : January 06, 2016
In a dissent, Ninth Circuit Judge Carlos Bea said he would have rejected a $2 million "windfall" to nonprofit groups and given the money to class members instead.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : January 04, 2016
Stephen Tonsfeldt joins the firm's Palo Alto office.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : January 04, 2016
Cooley kicks off 2016 with a big lateral addition in Silicon Valley.
: The National Law Journal : January 04, 2016
There must be something extra alluring about a public radio voice coasting over the five syllables of Zuck-Er-Man-Spae-Der. The litigation boutique and a handful of general service law firms with offices in Washington bought National Public Radio sponsorships in 2015, positioning their names on the hottest auditory advertising avenue of the year. Plus more in this week's column.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : December 30, 2015
Litigation boutique Zuckerman Spaeder and a handful of general-service law firms with offices in Washington bought National Public Radio sponsorships in 2015, positioning their names on the hottest auditory advertising avenue of the year.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : December 30, 2015
Like many GCs, Eleanor Lacey of SurveyMonkey says complying with European privacy rules is a top priority. So is enhancing her department's use of metrics.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : December 23, 2015
Evan Greebel, a Kaye Scholer partner who faces federal wire fraud charges, also is coping with two internal investigations into his work for the controversial pharmaceutical executive Martin Shkreli, who federal prosecutors say ran a Ponzi scheme.
Scott Flaherty : The American Lawyer : December 21, 2015
The secret behind Cooley's success: No stars, just talent.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : December 21, 2015
Evan Greebel, facing wire fraud charges for his ties to an accused Ponzi schemer, remains at Kaye Scholer as the firm commences an internal investigation into his alleged misconduct. His former firm, Katten Muchin Rosenman, has also launched a probe.
: The American Lawyer : December 21, 2015
A repeat winner claims the top prize in The American Lawyer's Litigation Department of the Year contest, while three practice area winners, 11 finalists and six individual litigators are honored for outstanding successes in the hardest-fought cases.
Scott Flaherty : The American Lawyer : December 21, 2015
Procaps v. Patheon; In Re: Hulu Privacy Litigation; Schuh v. HCA Holdings; Price v. Philip Morris
: The American Lawyer : December 21, 2015
Meet the 15 firms and six individual litigators honored in The American Lawyer's biennial Litigation Department of the Year issue.
: The Recorder : December 20, 2015
Ten local legal nonprofits who lawyers say are particulary effective and creative in delivering legal services to underserved populations.
Michael Booth : New Jersey Law Journal : December 17, 2015
The New Jersey Senate on Dec. 17 confirmed 10 nominations to the Superior Court and two to the Workers' Compensation Court, as well as approving four sitting trial judges for tenure.
Nell Gluckman, Christine Simmons and Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : December 17, 2015
Evan Greebel, a Kaye Scholer corporate partner who joined the firm's New York office this summer, was arrested Thursday morning on charges of participating in a securities fraud scheme with former hedge fund manager-turned-pharmaceutical- executive Martin Shkreli.