- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani, LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: New York
- Head Count: 1,203
- Gross Revenues: $1,212,500,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,010,000
- Profits Per Partner: $3,080,000
- Year Over Year Change: -2
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton is a New York-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2016 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton has 1203 attorneys and is the 18th largest firm in the United States. With $1,212,500,000 in gross revenue in 2015, the firm placed 18th on The American Lawyer's 2016 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2015 Global 100 survey, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton ranked as the 24th highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in DC and NY.
In the News
Monika Gonzalez Mesa : Daily Business Review : July 11, 2016
U.S. and Argentine firms are representing the Argentine Province of Buenos Aires in another $1 billion bond issuance and a $300 million issuance from the Province of Salta.
Michael D. Goldhaber : Corporate Counsel : July 11, 2016
After $2 billion in bankruptcy fees, Nortel approaches a dubious record.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : July 11, 2016
Jones Day recruits two new partners on opposite coasts after a top restructuring duo departs; Milbank makes a rare lateral hire; Paul Hastings makes some high-profile additions; and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
Christine Simmons : New York Law Journal : July 11, 2016
The largest law firms in New York showed wide disparity in attorney head count growth, and gains at some firms were outweighed by deep drops at others.
Michael D. Goldhaber : Corporate Counsel : July 06, 2016
After $2 billion in bankruptcy fees, Nortel approaches a dubious record.
Tom McParland : Delaware Business Court Insider : July 05, 2016
A tender-offer approval of an all-cash merger had the same cleansing effect as a stockholder vote, qualifying the deal for scrutiny under the forgiving business judgment rule, Vice Chancellor Tamika Montgomery-Reeves ruled June 30, interpreting a recent line of opinions from the Delaware Supreme Court.
Rebecca Geiger : Focus Europe : July 01, 2016
The law firms with roles in the largest recent M&A deals across Europe.
: The American Lawyer : July 01, 2016
Julie Triedman : The American Lawyer : July 01, 2016
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : June 29, 2016
Many of June's most notable lateral hires involved litigators exiting the Justice Department and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York. Other significant moves featured lawyers who specialize in being adverse to the government. Thanks, Uncle Sam.
Zachary Melvin : The American Lawyer : June 27, 2016
Simpson Thacher, Debevoise and other firms partner with a nonprofit to foster commerce in the South Bronx.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 27, 2016
While Friday's Brexit vote has likely cast a potential shadow over cross-border M&A activity, a number of timely billion-dollar tie-ups were announced amid the U.K.'s decision to leave the European Union.
: New York Law Journal : June 21, 2016
The Federal Bar Council presented the Thurgood Marshall award for exceptional pro bono service to Davis Polk and Wardwell associate Scott Wilcox at an event held Thursday at the Battery Gardens in Manhattan.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : June 17, 2016
From industrial chemicals to traffic cones, one of the last weeks of spring provided a plethora of transactional opportunities for dozens of Am Law 100 firms.
MP McQueen : The Am Law Daily : June 14, 2016
More charts from The American Lawyer's annual Diversity Scorecard reveal the racial and ethnic demographics of individual law firms.
Anna Zhang : The Asian Lawyer : June 14, 2016
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton is representing Japanese messaging app Line Corp. on a planned initial public offering that could raise $900 million. Listing is planned for Tokyo and New York.
Scott Flaherty : The Am Law Daily : June 13, 2016
Cook's soon-to-be-former firm also welcomed a government lawyer through the revolving door on Monday, saying it had hired antitrust lawyer David Gelfand from the U.S. Justice Department.
: New York Law Journal : June 07, 2016
Though she eventually decided to pursue law, an early exposure to digital communications put Lauren Handelsman in good stead today as Binder & Schwartz's tech maven as well a key litigator at the 11-lawyer firm.
: New Jersey Law Journal : June 01, 2016
Drug Company's Marketing Plan Did Not Unlawfully Harm Competition
: Texas Lawyer : June 01, 2016
Round Rock-based Dell's pending acquisition of computer storage company EMC for an estimated $67 billion tops the list of the 10 biggest Texas deals announced in 2015.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : May 31, 2016
A month after a settlement smoothed the way for Argentina's return to the global capital markets, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton and Davis Polk & Wardwell led the way on a $280.5 million initial public offering by a Buenos Aires-based bank.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : May 26, 2016
A round-up of transactions involving Bay Area lawyers and companies.
Tom McParland : Delaware Business Court Insider : May 25, 2016
A Delaware federal judge has certified an appeal of a bankruptcy court's unusual method for distributing $7.3 billion raised in Nortel Network's protracted bankruptcy proceeding, saying a review by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit would materially advance a case that has already dragged on for seven years.
Julie Triedman : The American Lawyer : May 23, 2016
Corruption cases are throwing off plenty of lucrative work for law firms.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : May 20, 2016
The firm dominated the year's mega-deals.
Frances Ivens : The Am Law Daily : May 15, 2016
Research into recent recruitment trends by international firms in London has found that they brought in over 20 percent more partners in 2015 than the year before, with total partner numbers climbing by 6 percent across the group year-on-year.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : May 11, 2016
After $1.2 billion in settlements and a decade of litigation that swept in antitrust lawyers from more than 50 firms (seriously, did anyone NOT work on this case?), the massive air cargo price fixing litigation is coming in for a landing.
Julie Triedman : The Am Law Daily : May 11, 2016
Besides leading to big breakup fees, lawyers say foiled mergers involving giants like Staples and Halliburton may be deterring other megadeals from being proposed.
Christine Simmons : New York Law Journal : May 09, 2016
The first quarter of 2016 delivered a shock to firms focused on corporate and capital markets who saw a freeze in deals. Looking ahead, several law firm leaders say the uncertainty prompted by global events and the presidential election could impact legal spend for the rest of the year.
Julie Triedman : The Am Law Daily : May 09, 2016
Big-ticket litigations involving scores of lawyers may be thinner on the ground these days, but a surge in global anti-corruption probes appears to be making up for it at a number of firms.