- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: New York
- Head Count: 1,203
- Gross Revenues: $1,212,500,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $1,010,000
- Profits Per Partner: $3,080,000
- Year Over Year Change: -2
Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton is a New York-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2015 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton has 1178 attorneys and is the 19th largest firm in the United States. With $1,212,500,000 in gross revenue in 2015, the firm placed 18th on The American Lawyer's 2016 Am Law 200 ranking. On the 2014 Global 100 survey, Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton ranked as the 21st highest grossing law firm in the world. The firm has offices in DC and NY.
In the News
David Ruiz : The Recorder : May 26, 2016
A round-up of transactions involving Bay Area lawyers and companies.
Tom McParland : Delaware Business Court Insider : May 25, 2016
A Delaware federal judge has certified an appeal of a bankruptcy court's unusual method for distributing $7.3 billion raised in Nortel Network's protracted bankruptcy proceeding, saying a review by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit would materially advance a case that has already dragged on for seven years.
Julie Triedman : The American Lawyer : May 23, 2016
Corruption cases are throwing off plenty of lucrative work for law firms.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : May 20, 2016
The firm dominated the year's mega-deals.
Frances Ivens : The Am Law Daily : May 15, 2016
Research into recent recruitment trends by international firms in London has found that they brought in over 20 percent more partners in 2015 than the year before, with total partner numbers climbing by 6 percent across the group year-on-year.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : May 11, 2016
After $1.2 billion in settlements and a decade of litigation that swept in antitrust lawyers from more than 50 firms (seriously, did anyone NOT work on this case?), the massive air cargo price fixing litigation is coming in for a landing.
Julie Triedman : The Am Law Daily : May 11, 2016
Besides leading to big breakup fees, lawyers say foiled mergers involving giants like Staples and Halliburton may be deterring other megadeals from being proposed.
Christine Simmons : New York Law Journal : May 09, 2016
The first quarter of 2016 delivered a shock to firms focused on corporate and capital markets who saw a freeze in deals. Looking ahead, several law firm leaders say the uncertainty prompted by global events and the presidential election could impact legal spend for the rest of the year.
Julie Triedman : The Am Law Daily : May 09, 2016
Big-ticket litigations involving scores of lawyers may be thinner on the ground these days, but a surge in global anti-corruption probes appears to be making up for it at a number of firms.
: Daily Business Review : May 09, 2016
The credit facility for Mexico's biggest paper producer helped fund the takeover of Mexico's second-biggest paper producer, which came with antitrust issues.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : May 06, 2016
Kirkland & Ellis may have cornered the market on debtor-side cases for troubled energy clients, but Weil, Gotshal & Manges snagged roles this week on three other recent Chapter 11 cases of note for Aéropostale, CHC Group and Fairway.
Scott Flaherty : The Litigation Daily : May 05, 2016
Dispatching a multibillion-dollar threat to Sanofi-Aventis, Cary polished off claims that the company blocked rival drugmakers from competing to sell blood thinners to hospitals nationwide.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : May 05, 2016
The first week of May was kind to several Am Law 100 firms, as a handful of health care, real estate and technology deals provided a boon to corporate transactional coffers.
Gina Passarella : The Legal Intelligencer : May 04, 2016
Emphasizing the tenet that antitrust laws are enacted to protect competition—and not competitors—the Third Circuit has rejected one competitor's claim that Sanofi-Aventis had an unfair advantage in the anti-coagulant drug market.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : May 02, 2016
DLA Piper bags new recruits from Skadden and Willkie Farr; Chadbourne & Parke picks up a partner with World Cup ties; Cleary Gottlieb adds an Allen & Overy practice leader; Stroock nabs a former federal judge; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : April 29, 2016
Alice Fisher, a former U.S. Justice Department Criminal Division chief, has handed the management reins at Latham & Watkins' D.C. office to Mike Egge. An antitrust lawyer, Egge became the firm's Washington managing partner at the beginning of March. Fisher's deputy managing partner, James Barker, ceded his job to Melissa Arbus Sherry, an appellate attorney.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : April 28, 2016
Abbott Labs seeks to buy St. Jude Medical for $25 billion; Sanofi makes a $9.3 billion bid for Medivation; AbbVie offers $5.8 billion for Stemcentrx; and a look at the big firms behind those proposed megadeals.
Christine Simmons : New York Law Journal : April 26, 2016
Revenue and profit growth cooled at most of the largest New York law firms in 2015 after several years of rapid growth.
Scott Flaherty : The Am Law Daily : April 25, 2016
Cravath may have stepped in to help Argentina end its legal battle with bondholders, but the country turned to its longtime counsel at Cleary Gottlieb to guide its re-entry into global capital markets.
Jennifer Henderson : The American Lawyer : April 25, 2016
Julie Triedman : The American Lawyer : April 25, 2016
Mixed signals in the financial sector and the end of recession-related litigation held profits down in New York.
Chris Johnson : The American Lawyer : April 25, 2016
The Am Law 100 eked out gains across major financial metrics in 2015. But growth was the slowest in years.
Jennifer Henderson : The Am Law Daily : April 21, 2016
Wachtell, Skadden, Cleary Gottlieb and King & Wood Mallesons are advising on a $3.6 billion acquisition of U.S. printer maker Lexmark International Inc. by a Chinese-led consortium.
Michael D. Goldhaber : The Am Law Daily : April 20, 2016
Russia won a crucial reprieve from a Dutch court, but the country and its lawyers at Cleary Gottlieb aren't out of the woods yet.
: New Jersey Law Journal : April 20, 2016
Cost of Reparative Therapy Could Constitute Ascertainable Loss Under CFA
Ben Hancock : The Recorder : April 20, 2016
The company began laying out its argument on Wednesday that bundling apps does not limit competition in the vibrant digital ecosystem.
Scott Flaherty : The Am Law Daily : April 19, 2016
Therium is hoping a trio of former Am Law 100 lawyers can stake its claim to the U.S. litigation finance market.
MP McQueen and Andrew Denney : New York Law Journal : April 19, 2016
Daniel Shapiro was an active partner in the firm's investment management and tax groups up until his death in London on Friday.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : April 18, 2016
A team from Simpson Thacher & Bartlett won a groundbreaking appellate decision reversing class certification in a securities action against firm client Best Buy Co. Inc.
Andrew Denney : New York Law Journal : April 18, 2016
Craig Boise, a one-time New York attorney who has spent the last five years as dean of a law school in Cleveland, Ohio, has been named as the new dean of the Syracuse University School of Law.