- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill Thorp Reed
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Indianapolis
- Head Count: 517
- Gross Revenues: $346,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $670,000
- Profits Per Partner: $835,000
- Year Over Year Change: -1
Barnes & Thornburg is an Indianapolis-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2014 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Barnes & Thornburg has 522 attorneys and is the 81st largest firm in the United States. With $344,000,000 in gross revenue in 2013, the firm placed 89th on The American Lawyer's 2014 Am Law 200 ranking. The firm has offices in CA, DC, DE, GA, IL, IN, MI, MN and OH.
In the News
Scott Flaherty : The Litigation Daily : May 19, 2015
Two months after the Supreme Court refused to undo certification of a "gargantuan" antitrust class action, a half-dozen foam manufacturers have agreed to pay big bucks to bow out of the price-fixing case.
Chris Johnson : The American Lawyer : April 27, 2015
To help add context to our reporting on law firm profits, this year's Am Law 100 report adds a new metric, profits per lawyer.
Katelyn Polantz : The National Law Journal : April 13, 2015
A roundup of Washington, D.C. lateral moves and promotions.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : April 11, 2015
J. Christopher Groobey spent 25 years in Big Law before heading for the high seas; Fried Frank makes more litigation hires; Latham & Watkins lures three from Sidley Austin; and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
Rebekah Mintzer : Corporate Counsel : March 27, 2015
The U.S. Supreme Court's "Young v. United Parcel Service" ruling provides some guidance for employers dealing with potential liability from pregnancy discrimination claims.
Sue Reisinger : Corporate Counsel : March 24, 2015
The National Labor Relations Board's Office of the General Counsel has issued clear new rules on employee handbook policies that can help any GC test current company policies against what will pass muster at the NLRB.
Amanda Bronstad : The National Law Journal : March 16, 2015
The plaintiffs bar has filed more than 50 class actions in the past month that accuse retailers like Target Corp. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. of widespread fraud through the sale of herbal supplements.
Scott N. Godes : The Corporate Counselor : March 13, 2015
Companies should take a hard look at their insurance programs to evaluate what coverage they have for existing digital security risks.
Meredith Hobbs : Daily Report : March 11, 2015
Morris Manning & Martin posted its third consecutive strong year, fueled again by the resurgent real estate market.
Lizzy McLellan : The Legal Intelligencer : March 10, 2015
A state agency cannot prevent the designation of a new franchisee because of the possibility that competition with an existing dealer would cause one or both to close, the Commonwealth Court has ruled.
: The National Law Journal : March 09, 2015
Laterals and new arrivals in this week's column.
Tony Mauro : Supreme Court Brief : March 09, 2015
In a significant victory for regulators over the wishes of the regulated, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously on Monday that federal agencies do not need to seek public comment when they change their interpretation of their own rules.
Jonathan Ringel : Daily Report : March 04, 2015
Friday at the annual Georgia Bar Media and Judiciary Conference, an Atlanta lawyer who represents sports stars in trouble gave a first-hand account of the balancing act between helping a client avoid prison and salvaging the athlete's career.
Meredith Hobbs : Daily Report : March 03, 2015
Securities litigator Scott Sherman has left Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz for a partnership at Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough, but Baker Donelson has added a partner, Ron Bingham II (above), to its bankruptcy practice from Stites & Harbison.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : March 01, 2015
Milbank expands in London and Frankfurt; Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani loses a top sports lawyer, but picks up more than a dozen others in Pittsburgh; Barclays and Deutsche Bank raid big firms for two in-house legal chiefs; Cadwalader brings on a top federal prosecutor; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : February 25, 2015
Wm. David Cornwell Sr., a prominent litigator in the sports world with a stable of all-star clients, is leaving Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani for Barnes & Thornburg. Gordon Rees, which acquired Cornwell's Atlanta-based firm three years ago, sued former Cornwell client Alex Rodriguez last week for $380,000 in legal fees stemming from his representation of the New York Yankees star last year.
David Ruiz : The Recorder : February 23, 2015
The GC, who saw the gift-card company through its spinoff from Safeway last year, talks about compliance in a heavily regulated industry.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : February 17, 2015
Big firms take on more partners from Bingham McCutchen and Edwards Wildman Palmer; Dentons heads to Northern Virginia; King & Spalding snags a rival's IP litigation co-head; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
: Daily Report : February 12, 2015
On behalf of the State Bar of Georgia, I would like to offer congratulations to attorney Rita A. Sheffey of Hunton & Williams in Atlanta on her recent appointment as assistant dean for public service at the Emory University Law School.
Kathleen Baydala Joyner : Daily Report : January 23, 2015
DeKalb County Superior Court Judge Asha Jackson was just 36 when Gov. Nathan Deal appointed her in 2012 to fill the seat vacated by veteran Judge Michael Hancock.
: The National Law Journal : January 12, 2015
Lateral moves at D.C. firms.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : December 30, 2014
A pair of ex-firm leaders head elsewhere; embattled Japanese air bag maker Takata hires a high-profile Simpson Thacher litigator to become in-house legal chief of its North American unit; a Skadden tax lawyer heads to the federal bench; and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : December 09, 2014
A leading French M&A lawyer heads to Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom in Paris; King & Spalding brings back a former partner and sees its M&A cohead head to the NFL; Squire Patton Boggs makes it rain Down Under and other notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
Meredith Hobbs : Daily Report : December 09, 2014
Jennifer Moseley has joined Morris Manning & Martin as a partner from Barnes & Thornburg, saying that her practice representing start-up companies and foreign-funded investment entities through the EB-5 visa program is becoming more real-estate oriented.
: The National Law Journal : December 08, 2014
Laterals, new arrivals, and a new practice group in this week's column.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : December 02, 2014
Ogletree Deakins, Quinn Emanuel and Winston & Strawn join the Houston hiring frenzy; Bingham McCutchen's exodus continues; three Howrey alums find a new home at Novak Druce; Jenner & Block brings on a former Deepwater Horizon task force head; Skadden adds one in London and more notable hires from throughout The Am Law 200.
: The National Law Journal : November 24, 2014
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.