- Adams and Reese LLP
- Akerman Senterfitt
- Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- Andrews Kurth LLP
- Arent Fox LLP
- Armstrong Teasdale LLP
- Arnold & Porter LLP
- Baker & Hostetler LLP
- Baker & McKenzie LLP
- Baker Botts LLP
- Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, PC
- Ballard Spahr LLP
- Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- Bingham McCutchen LLP
- Blank Rome LLP
- Boies, Schiller & Flexner LLP
- Bracewell & Giuliani LLP
- Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP
- Brown Rudnick LLP
- Brownstein Hyatt Farber Schreck, LLP
- Bryan Cave LLP
- Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney PC
- Burr & Forman LLP
- Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
- Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
- Carlton Fields, P.A.
- Chadbourne & Parke LLP
- Chapman and Cutler LLP
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Clark Hill
- Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton LLP
- Cooley LLP
- Covington & Burling LLP
- Cozen O’Connor
- Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
- Crowell & Moring LLP
- Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
- Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP
- Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
- Day Pitney LLP
- Debevoise & Plimpton LLP
- Dechert LLP
- Dickinson Wright PLLC
- Dickstein Shapiro LLP
- Dinsmore & Shohl LLP
- DLA Piper
- Dorsey & Whitney LLP
- Drinker Biddle & Reath LLP
- Duane Morris LLP
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edwards Wildman Palmer
- Epstein Becker & Green, P.C.
- Faegre Baker Daniels
- Fennemore Craig, P.C.
- Fenwick & West LLP
- Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner, LLP
- Fish & Richardson P.C.
- Fisher & Phillips LLP
- Fitzpatrick, Cella, Harper & Scinto
- Foley & Lardner LLP
- Foley Hoag LLP
- Fox Rothschild LLP
- Fragomen, Del Rey, Bernsen & Loewy, LLP
- Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
- Frost Brown Todd LLC
- Gardere Wynne Sewell LLP
- Gibbons P.C.
- Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP
- Goodwin Procter LLP
- Gordon & Rees LLP
- Goulston & Storrs, A Professional Corporation
- GrayRobinson, P.A.
- Greenberg Traurig P.A.
- Haynes and Boone, LLP
- Herrick, Feinstein LLP
- Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP
- Hogan Lovells
- Holland & Hart LLP
- Holland & Knight LLP
- Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
- Hunton & Williams LLP
- Husch Blackwell
- Ice Miller LLP
- Irell & Manella LLP
- Jackson Lewis LLP
- Jackson Walker L.L.P
- Jeffer Mangels Butler & Mitchell LLP
- Jenner & Block LLP
- Jones Day
- K&L Gates LLP
- Kasowitz, Benson, Torres & Friedman LLP
- Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
- Kaye Scholer LLP
- Kelley Drye & Warren LLP
- Kenyon & Kenyon LLP
- Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kirkland & Ellis LLP
- Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP
- Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
- Kutak Rock LLP
- Lane Powell
- Latham & Watkins LLP
- Lathrop & Gage LLP
- Lewis and Roca LLP
- Lewis, Brisbois, Bisgaard & Smith LLP
- Littler Mendelson P.C.
- Locke Lord
- Loeb & Loeb LLP
- Lowenstein Sandler PC
- Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP
- Mayer Brown LLP
- McCarter & English, LLP
- McDermott Will & Emery
- McElroy, Deutsch, Mulvaney & Carpenter, LLP
- McGuireWoods LLP
- McKenna Long & Aldridge LLP
- Michael Best & Friedrich LLP
- Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
- Miller, Canfield, Paddock and Stone, PLC
- Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo, PC
- Moore & Van Allen PLLC
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
- Morris, Manning & Martin, LLP
- Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Munger, Tolles & Olson LLP
- Nelson Mullins Riley & Scarborough LLP
- Nixon Peabody LLP
- Norton Rose LLP
- O’Melveny & Myers LLP
- Ogletree, Deakins, Nash, Smoak & Stewart, P.C.
- Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler LLP
- Patton Boggs LLP
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP
- Pepper Hamilton LLP
- Perkins Coie LLP
- Phelps Dunbar LLP
- Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
- Polsinelli Shughart PC
- Porter Wright Morris & Arthur LLP
- Proskauer Rose LLP
- Quarles & Brady LLP
- Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP
- Reed Smith LLP
- Robins, Kaplan, Miller & Ciresi LLP
- Robinson & Cole LLP
- Ropes & Gray LLP
- Saul Ewing LLP
- Schiff Hardin LLP
- Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
- Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton LLP
- Shook, Hardy & Bacon L.L.P.
- Shumaker, Loop & Kendrick, LLP
- Shutts & Bowen LLP
- Sidley Austin LLP
- Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP
- Snell & WilmerL.L.P.
- Squire Sanders LLP
- Steptoe & Johnson LLP
- Stevens & Lee, A Professional Corporation
- Stinson Morrison Hecker LLP
- Stoel Rives LLP
- Strasburger & Price, LLP
- Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
- Sullivan & Cromwell LLP
- Sullivan & Worcester LLP
- Sutherland Asbill & Brennan LLP
- Thompson & Knight LLP
- Thompson Coburn LLP
- Thompson Hine LLP
- Troutman Sanders LLP
- Vedder Price, P.C.
- Venable LLP
- Vinson & Elkins LLP
- Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease LLP
- Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz
- Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- White & Case LLP
- Wiley Rein LLP
- Williams & Connolly LLP
- Williams Mullen
- Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
- Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale & Dorr
- Wilson Elser Moskowitz Edelman & Dicker LLP
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
- Winstead PC
- Winston & Strawn LLP
- Womble Carlyle Sandridge & Rice
- Designation: Indianapolis
- Head Count: 521
- Gross Revenues: $361,000,000
- Revenue Per Lawyer: $695,000
- Profits Per Partner: $880,000
- Year Over Year Change: -1
Barnes & Thornburg is an Indianapolis-based law firm. According to the National Law Journal's 2015 NLJ 350 ranking of firms based on size, Barnes & Thornburg has 517 attorneys and is the 78th largest firm in the United States. With $361,000,000 in gross revenue in 2015, the firm placed 91st on The American Lawyer's 2016 Am Law 200 ranking. The firm has offices in CA, DC, DE, GA, IL, IN, MI, MN and OH.
In the News
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : May 18, 2016
A half-dozen big firms shuffled practice leaders within the past week; Skadden snags a high-profile arbitration expert in Hong Kong; the founding partner of Weil's Rhode Island office departs; and other notable laterals from throughout The Am Law 200.
Vivia Chen : The Careerist : May 17, 2016
Good news for grumpy workers.
Jenna Greene : The Litigation Daily : May 11, 2016
After $1.2 billion in settlements and a decade of litigation that swept in antitrust lawyers from more than 50 firms (seriously, did anyone NOT work on this case?), the massive air cargo price fixing litigation is coming in for a landing.
Ian Lopez : Legaltech News : April 25, 2016
As breaches abound, organizations look for protection. Is cyberinsurance the way?
Roy Strom : The National Law Journal : April 21, 2016
As part of a crackdown on “spoofing,” the U.S. Commodities Futures Trading Commission will square off in Chicago's federal court on Monday against a Northwestern University dropout who made millions on the futures markets.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : April 18, 2016
A former IT engineer at the firm got nine years for a cyberattack in 2011. Plus: A plaintiffs lawyer files the first of several promised law firm cybersecurity class actions.
Amanda Bronstad : The National Law Journal : April 14, 2016
AshleyMadison.com is fighting to block thousands of internal documents exposed in last year's data breach from getting into court, where plaintiffs attorneys want to use emails between the company's executives and outside counsel to allege the extramarital-affair website was engaged in widespread fraud on consumers.
Miriam Rozen : Texas Lawyer : April 11, 2016
The owners of Videogames YouTube Channel, who are defendants in a lawsuit that led to a more than $20 million jury verdict against them, hired new lawyers from Dallas' Friedman & Feiger. Robert Wilson of Dallas, who previously represented them, has withdrawn as their counsel.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : April 11, 2016
Holland & Knight keeps hiring; Kirkland picks up one from Paul Weiss; Proskauer Rose reels in some heavy-hitters; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
MP McQueen : The Am Law Daily : April 06, 2016
The firm boosted its revenue and profits in 2015 as it expanded in Dallas, Atlanta and elsewhere.
Miriam Rozen : Texas Lawyer : April 04, 2016
After a Dallas jury delivered a more than $20 million verdict against two owners of Videogames YouTube Channel, a U.S. magistrate ordered one of the owners, Bryan Martin, to show why he should not be charged with contempt of court and serve jail time after a tweet.
MP McQueen : The Am Law Daily : March 31, 2016
The New York firm saw light declines in revenue and lawyer head count in 2015.
Greg Land : Daily Report : March 23, 2016
A Fulton County jury awarded $782,001 to an Alpharetta telecom company, finding that its former president broke his contract by operating a competing company and siphoning employees and business to a second competing business while employed by the plaintiff company.
: The American Lawyer : March 14, 2016
The American Lawyer invites firms to send us the names of their new partners for 2016. Please send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
: The National Law Journal : March 07, 2016
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.
Staff : The American Lawyer : March 02, 2016
They'll be working in six cities in the midwest, California and Georgia.
: The National Law Journal : February 29, 2016
Laterals and new arrivals in this week's column.
: The National Law Journal : February 22, 2016
New arrivals and lateral moves in this week's column.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : February 21, 2016
King & Wood Mallesons' private equity leader in Germany joins Mayer Brown; two more Edwards Wildman Palmer alums leave Locke Lord; Polsinelli keeps growing; Wachtell adds an e-discovery expert; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : February 09, 2016
A year after Morgan Lewis absorbed Bingham McCutchen, several lawyers from the latter find new homes; Fried Frank welcomes back an ex-partner; Jenner & Block brings on an M&A leader; and other additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Meredith Hobbs : Daily Report : February 04, 2016
Troutman Sanders had a blockbuster year in 2015, reporting $468.5 million in revenue, up 11 percent, and net income of $180.8 million, up 14 percent. Profit per equity partner jumped from $805,000 to $970,000—after a $55,000 increase in 2014.
Meredith Hobbs : Daily Report : February 02, 2016
New Orleans-based Jones Walker has scooped up a team of six construction lawyers from Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton.
Brian Baxter and Christine Simmons : The Am Law Daily : February 01, 2016
The latest Dickstein Shapiro defectors are hired by Holland & Knight; Jones Day adds an IP trio; Kirkland & Ellis recruits a senior SEC official; Latham & Watkins lands a high-profile lateral in Germany; and other notable additions from throughout The Am Law 200.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : January 27, 2016
Having already hired a handful of litigators this week, Barnes & Thornburg dipped back into the lateral market Wednesday to snag four more partners for its IP practice from prominent Chicago-based boutique Brinks, Gilson & Lione.
Meredith Hobbs : Daily Report : January 27, 2016
Barnes & Thornburg has added two litigators locally: Gary Freed as a partner from Thompson Hine and J. Malcolm Cox as of counsel from McGuire Woods.
Brian Baxter : The Am Law Daily : January 27, 2016
Paul Hastings and Kirkland & Ellis and several other big firms make key additions in Texas; Greenberg Traurig, Orrick and Sidley Austin keep hiring; Wilson Sonsini welcomes back a favorite son; and other notable moves from throughout The Am Law 200.
Nell Gluckman : The Am Law Daily : January 26, 2016
After adding four litigators in Atlanta and Minneapolis, Barnes & Thornburg hired product liability expert James Murdica in Chicago from New York's Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler.
John G. Browning : Texas Lawyer : December 17, 2015
Despite a slew of ethics opinions and high-profile sanctions on everything from contacting represented parties via Facebook to instructing clients to delete damaging online content, attorneys are still getting into trouble resulting from their misuse of social media.
: The National Law Journal : December 14, 2015
Lateral moves and new arrivals in this week's column.
Zoe Tillman : The National Law Journal : December 14, 2015
Barnes & Thornburg partner Vincent "Trace" Schmeltz III must donate $5,000 as punishment for tweeting photographs of a trial in violation of court rules, a committee of federal judges in Chicago has ruled.